Looking for direction

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Scott J, Feb 6, 2021.

1. Scott J

Scott J Well-Known Member

Hey, new collector here and I'm trying to decide if I need to or should choose a direction.
    Obviously I like Morgans, but I also dig the SLQ's and Walkers.
    My parent's birth years are 1930 and 1936 so that explains the Buffalos and SLQ's and one of the Walkers.
    All the ones in slabs come from Great Collections which has turned into a Sunday night addiction..
    I do think I like the raw coins because I like to be able to hold them. The slabs are great for peace of mind and grading examples.
    Right now I'm looking for a 1917 type 1 SLQ, a capped bust half and a good example Barber half and or quarter.
    For raw coins I was looking at L&C and Dave's Collectibles.
    My funds are limited (I'm a teacher) and was thinking VF and XF would probably be acceptable.
    Any thoughts or ideas?
    Stick with one direction?
    What way would you build onto this collection?
    Thanks!![​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

You need to decide what you like and collect just that, especially to start. There's nothing wrong with collecting or trying to build several sets at the same time.

Welcome to CT.

4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

@Scott J I have had a couple of bad experiances with L&C with raw coins but they are fine for slabbed coins. My bad experiance twice was ordering raw B.U. coins. Indian Head Cents were dipped as was a 1883 Liberty Head Nickel. I have heard Dave's has a good reputation.

5. Scott J

Yeah, that's where I'm at, but everything I start looking I keep finding more and more disjointed coins that don't seem to fit with what I have.
    I guess I feel like going wide, but most collectors seem to go deep if you know what I mean.
    Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  6. Scott J

Thanks!! Very useful info.

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Go to some coin shows (when this Covid crap ends)....and check out stuff in-person. And scan threads at sites like CoinTalk.

Myself, I am partial to Saint-Gaudens and Liberty Double Eagles...Morgans....modern commemoratives.... some older commemoratives....Vatican coins.

Alot of stuff I like is gold, which means I can do alot of looking between buying. :D

Lots of coin collectors dabble in currency and vice-versa.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2021
    capthank and Scott J like this.
  8. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

Who or what is "L&C" ?

Scott J likes this.
  9. Collecting Nut

Lol I bought a small number of coins from L & C over the years but now that you mention it they were all slabbed. I've never had a problem with them. As for Dave's, I've never bought from them but I hear good things.

GoldFinger1969 and Scott J like this.
  10. Scott J

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  11. Collecting Nut

Every type of coin has one that's expensive and maybe a few that are higher priced. For those all you can do is save your money. The higher the grade, the more costly it will be.

Best wishes

Scott J likes this.
  12. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Welcome to CT

Scott J likes this.
  13. Publius2

Publius2 Well-Known Member

I can't advise about the dealers you mentioned, but here's a suggestion: I think this might satisfy your current desire for a broad but not deep dive into the world of US coinage and at a reasonable cost. You can indulge the collecting bug while you read and learn and hone your taste and also your grading ability - key atttributes for satisfying collecting.

Consider collecting US types from say 1892 to present in grades you think you can afford. The choice of starting date encompasses many coin types and varieties and examples of each can be had in the common dates for quite low prices especially in the mid-grades. These include the Indian Head Cent and Lincoln cents; Liberty, Buffalo and Jefferson nickels; Barber dimes, quarters and half dollars; Mercury and Roosevelt dimes; Standing Liberty and Washington quarters; Walking Liberty, Franklin, Kennedy and commemorative half dollars; and Morgan, Peace, Eisenhower, Anthony, and Sacagawea dollars.

You may eventually decide you like type collecting and want to expand your horizon farther back into the past, and at greater expense I might add. OTOH, you may choose to focus on one or two series. But the 1892-to-present type set gives you time to learn while not spending a fortune.

Welcome to a great hobby and to CT.

14. Scott J

Excellent idea!! Thanks

15. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Why do you need a direction? Why not just collect what suits your fancy? Nobody said you need to complete a type/date set before moving on to something else that tickles your fancy.
    So says the guy who went from roll hunting, to world coins, to bullion, to world silver, to ancients, and who still continues to collect all of the previously mentioned categories.

16. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

There are several dealers here on CT Tough Coins , John aka C-B-D, and a few others who if you search the threads you will find members who have given them great feed back.
    Get to know these guys .....the wont do you wrong.
    Also remember as you stated your pockets arent deep....understandable but that may cause you to loose interest , buying key Morgans even in Fine can cost big bucks!
    Pick a series that is doable on your budget. Then presue you collection at a pace that make you happy not broke. John At Allegiance rare coins, Mike at Toughcoins
    Will always give you good advice. And guess what both are here daily all you need do is say hi.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Looking for direction?

Follow your heart.........

18. Paddy54

19. Scott J

20. Paddy54

I posted it for you to see... yes paid up for her from a member here Tom.a dealer here in Maryland. This is part of the never sell collection..... yes its an Au 58 FH

Scott J and Hoky77 like this.
  21. Scott J

Hey Paddy, this one obviously pales in comparison, but I was curious what your opinion (or anyone else's)is of this example for about a hundred bucks.
    Thanks

Attached Files:

capthank likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted