Looking for coins contemporary with Martin Luther (1483-1546)

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Dougmeister, May 12, 2016.

1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Without getting into the pros or cons of religion... Don't get my thread deleted.
    Keep it on topic, please. Thank you.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am interested in picking up some coins that ML might have carried around in his pocket at some point during his lifetime.

Can anyone provide me with some possibilities?

I recently saw a Hungarian coin from that era, so that might work. Are there any Germanic State issues (since he was from Germany) that might be better candidates? There should be a few...

Thanks.

Some bullet points on his life:
    • 1483: Born in Eisleben, Saxony (part of the Holy Roman Empire)
    • 1484: Moved to Mansfeld (his dad held copper mine and smelter leases)
    • 1501: Entered the University of Erfurt
    • 1505: Entered a closed Augustinian cloister in Erfurt
    • 1508: Began teaching theology at the newly-founded University of Wittenberg
    • 1517: Writes a letter to his bishop; later becomes known as "The 95 Theses"
    • 1518: "95 Theses" translated and copied via the Gutenburg printing press
    • 1521: Excommunicated by Pope Leo X

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

my first thought was hungarian denar. or polish-lithuanian coins...they are plentiful and fairly cheap. here are a couple of bargain bin versions i have...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

This is relevant to my interests. I've only got our genealogy back to the 1700s, and a few from the 1600s, but nearly all of those branches originate in Germany. Pretty much all Lutheran, too.

5. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Prussia.
    Half groshen 153(?).

Attached Files:

• 63.jpg
      63.jpg
      File size:
      122.6 KB
      Views:
    • 64.jpg
      64.jpg
      File size:
      103.9 KB
      Views:
    medjoy likes this.
  6. swish513

swish513 Penny & Cent Collector

Jülich-Berg
    Schilling, 1512

1512.jpg

Siberian Man likes this.
  7. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

In 2014/2015 there was an exhibition called "Reformatio in Nummis" at the Wartburg in Eisenach (where Luther lived "incognito" for a while and translated parts of the Bible), and the catalog shows quite a few coins and medals of course. One is a groschen from Saxony (not dated, 1520s), then there is a quarter taler (Saxony, 1539), a groschen from Brandenburg (n/d, early 16c). Several pieces featuring his "host" Frederick the Wise too ...

Christian

8. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I guess that's the one I'd be looking for, given that the state's name is also my surname... :)

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Here you go. From that catalog; the reference to the Künker auction is due to the fact that Künker sponsored the exhibition. :)

Unrelated side note - in five years Germany will issue a commemorative €2 coin, the last one in the "German States" series. That one will be dedicated to Brandenburg ...

brbgroschen.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted