Looking for advice on a 1910-P Indian Head Gold Eagle

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Tusky Ranger, Feb 18, 2020.

1. Tusky Ranger

Tusky Ranger Active Member

Many years ago my grandmother showed me one of these. When she passed, it went to my mother. Mom passed 5 yrs ago; but no one could locate the coin. Finally my father found a necklace a month or so ago, and hanging from it was the coin - which he sent to me. It was in a bezel which I was able to easily remove without damaging the coin. Its in really nice shape, I don't see any signs of circulation - all details are very clear. Unfortunately it seems its been highly polished. I thought it might be a proof strike (wouldn't that be nice), so I took it to the only coin dealer in the area and he said it wasn't. Then he told me to get it graded. I guess I'm wondering how a polished coin would grade out? Details - Cleaned? Considering how its been passed down, and ended in my possession I'm wondering if I should just have it graded/certified to preserve it. Obvisously I dont want to sell it (as a coin, or just for the gold). Thoughts? I don't know diddly about gold coins...other than they are gold :)

green18 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. furham

furham Good Ole Boy

Do you have a picture?

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

If ya don't know 'diddly', don't get it graded. And that ain't a put down, my friend. There are too many people out there in this hobby, that don't know diddly. and getting stuff graded. It only makes the grading services rich, not you my friend.

Family heirloom........leave it be in remembrance of your sweet departed Grandmother.

And like Randy posted above.....we'd love to see a picture. :)

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Pictures would help but if it was in a bezel it would be considered damaged and worthy of being graded.

Having been my grandmother's and my mothers I would have left it in the bezel as jewelry.

6. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, same here! If it's polished, place it back in the bezel and wear it! At least that's what I would do.

HoledandCreative likes this.
  7. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

...uh NOT worthy of being graded?

8. Tusky Ranger

Its
    Its kinda girly looking...lol.

9. Tusky Ranger

Not the greatest pics by any means. I appreciate the input for sure. I'll have to dwell on this some more...

Attached Files:

furham likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

No it's not. The marks from the bezel would result in a lower grade.

With the pictures even without a bezel it's too worn to receive a decent grade. The high spots all shows signs of wear and the headdress is worn very smooth.

11. Tusky Ranger

Since I've never seen one in person; its hard to tell. I think Granny/mom just polished the hell out of it. Being gold is so soft it may have just worn down from all the polishing? My overall thinking is preservation; if I put it back in its bezel its just going to sit here. Even my niece didn't want the necklace. I'm not concerned about a "good grade"; just to protect it from further wear. Its still worth its weight in gold. The mintage is just over 600K. In USACoinBook there are only 6 for sale. Ebay, about 40 (all mints) total.

12. Collecting Nut

Then place the coin in a 2 x 2 flip and tuck it away. The coin won't grade if it was polished so sending it in for grading would be a waste of money.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2020
    Dug13 and HoledandCreative like this.
  13. Tusky Ranger

That's prob the direction I'll take, at least for now. Thanks!!

Collecting Nut likes this.
  14. Collecting Nut

You're welcome and I think it's the best option at the present.

15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would put it in an airtight holder so I could admire it from time to time.

JeffC likes this.
  16. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

You can have it mounted in a money clip by a good jeweler - that would be a more masculine choice and a handsome way to display mom's and grandma's half eagle:
    hand-engraved-sterling-indian-head-gold-coin-moneyclip.jpg MC542-$5-1.jpg

17. Collecting Nut

Nice! At first I thought it was a belt buckle. Lol

juris klavins likes this.
  18. JeffC

JeffC Go explore something and think a happy thought!

Why not put it in a Lighthouse slab and then you can make a custom sentimental label for it.

dwhiz likes this.
  19. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

I prefer the idea of it in a money clip. Otherwise since it has been cleaned / polished blow it out (eBay or shop) hopefully get melt.

20. Tusky Ranger

I actually thought of that at one point...I like the idea. Gotta find a good way to make a decent label. Thanks.

21. Tusky Ranger

LOL I never have money for a money clip (and I really dont want to sell it just yet).

Draft saved Draft deleted