Looking for a veiled and wreathed Caesar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Hellbent, Aug 20, 2018.

1. Hellbent

Hellbent Member

Hi all,
    For some time I have been looking for a veiled and wreathed Caesar portrait denarius. So far I have found only one which I think is aesthetically pleasing even though the strike is a bit off centre. It's from the forum ancient coins store.
    [​IMG]

The problem is that for me, it's slightly over budget. My question to this knowledgable forum is; does coins of similar quality come up more or less often for a cheaper price, or would I likely end up having to wait for several months?

Thanks in advance
    /Rikard

Bing and galba68 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

4. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Layaway, layaway, LAYAWAY, LAYAWAY, LAYAWAY

Seriously, now that you've posted it here this coin will be sold in less than 12 hours. If I was you, I'd do layaway if it was slightly over your budget. You could put 20%, or 40%, or even 60% down now, and pay the rest next month.

5. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

It's a nice portrait with attractive toning, but rather off centre. I'd say you'd be paying quite a bit for the privilege of being able to buy it right away. If you can wait a year or so, I'm sure you'll see an equivalent coin come up at auction for significantly less. But yes, it's quite likely you'd have to wait "several months."

TIF and galba68 like this.
  6. arnoldoe

arnoldoe Well-Known Member

They come up for sale fairly often, 3 on auction right now on heritage

and For $4200, -- compare to ... some CNG sales in the last 2 years

[​IMG]
    Hammer price $4000 + buyers fee

[​IMG]
    Hammer price $3200 + buyers fee

[​IMG]
    Hammer price $1900 + buyers fee

Ryro, Johndakerftw, Hellbent and 3 others like this.
  7. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

.inna word jacques...no....

8. Sallent

When I look back on it, I still think I made out like a bandit when I bought this one for $912 including shipping.

JC portrait k.jpg

When the dealer told me.."Hey man, I know you've been looking for any type of Julius Caesar denarius, and you said you didn't care if it was an elephant denarius or any other type. I just came across this portrait denarius in roughly VF condition, but I'm afraid it may be a little out of your price range...it's $912 shipped...not sure if that's what you are looking for?"

My reaction:

giphy.gif

Some things you don't think twice. A minute later I was sending a paypal payment, sight unseen. All I needed to hear was ....Julius Caesar Portrait, VF, $912.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
  9. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

@Sallent

I love that coin.

I know exactly how you feel. I won mine for my first and only bid in an Artemide Aste auction out of San Marino. I think I hit the air with my fists for about one minute. This coin cost me roughly 600.00 all in.

Julius Caesar. AR Denarius, 44 BC.
    (19.00 mm 3.68 g)
    Obv:. Laureate head right; before, CAESAR IMP; behind, star of eight rays.
    Rev: P. SEPVLLIVS MACER. Venus standing left, holding Victory and sceptre (resting on star?).
    Cr. 480/5b RSC 41 BMC 4165 Syd 1071Sear (2000) 1412
    A very elegant portrait. Perfectly struck on broad flan. Areas of flatness and scratch on obverse, VF.
    Ex: Artemide Asti E-Auction 43 E, June 9, 2018.

Julius Caesar 480 5b small.jpg

Ryro, Johndakerftw, Sallent and 3 others like this.
  10. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Yes it is. It comes from a very reliable source.

11. Sallent

Yeah, the $4,000 FORVM wants is a little high...FORVM coins are always a little overpriced. But I'd dare say that coin on auction will probably fetch close to $3000 in a good day. Add 18% to 21% buyers fee and insurance and shipping, and you are getting close to the FORVM price.

Hellbent likes this.
  12. Hellbent

Hellbent Member

Thanks guys. And yes, judging by the cng records it looks like a better/equal one makes an appearance every 5-6 months or so. But, me being the impatient one, thanks @Sallent for the Layaway advice :)

A JC is always a JC.

And @Sallent - yours is such a nice coin. Real character. Looks much better than some AU rated ones I've seen. Love that the bankers mark makes an exaggerated ear on JC.

@Orfew - Yours is a splendid example as well. And for 600 at that. A real find. Congratulations!

Orfew and Sallent like this.
  13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Forum's coins always look better when you get them and Joe always guarantees his coins forever. He'll even buy it back!

As was mentioned buying at auction you'll end up paying the extra juice and shipping. If you like the Forum coin wait for one of Joe's 10% off sales or put it on layaway.

Here's my portrait Caesar. There are similar types on vcoins right now.

normal_Caesar_4.jpg

44 BC Julius Caesar Lifetime Portrait denarius
    CAESAR DICT PERPETVO
    laureate head of Julius Caesar right

L BVCA
    Venus seated right holding Victory on extended right hand, transverse scepter in left

Struck Feb - Mar 14th, 44 BC.
    RCV 1410, RSC 24.

Venus seated' only appears on this one type of Caesar's 'lifetime' issues, on the remainder she is standing.

Lucius Aemilius Buca was a distant relative of the dictator Sulla. This coin was struck within a month of Caesar's murder.

Ex-Incitatus, Ex-CNG Electronic Auction 223, lot 393

Ryro, Johndakerftw, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  14. Sallent

Yeah, if I had bought your JC for $600 I'd be dancing in the streets. It is a an extremely nice example for that price range. Usually what you get for $600 is barely recognizable as a JC coin, so you definitely got an amazing deal.

Orfew likes this.
  15. Jay GT4

16. Jay GT4

Looks like the Forum coin is sold...

17. Hellbent

Hellbent Member

Yes I did a Layaway.

ominus1, Orfew, Sallent and 1 other person like this.
  18. Sallent

Yeah, the banker's mark being a crescent moon matches really well the crescent moon in between the Pontifex Maximvs acronym. Personally, that makes my coin a little more interesting to me. May not be other's cup of tea, but I've always had a soft spot for interesting bankers marks.

Hellbent and Orfew like this.
  19. Hellbent

Hellbent Member

I was listening to the Caesar episode from the "BBC - In our time - History" podcast as I placed the order. Fascinating discussions. Especially regarding the difference between playing god vs king, where the latter apparently was deemed to be a greater sign of hubris than the former.

20. Dillan

Dillan The sky is the limit !

Congratulations on your new purchase. Sometimes it is best to grab it while you can as you did before it disappears. It is a very nice coin , so what if it is off center who cares, not you. What counts is that you got a legit coin that you wanted, and that is what makes this collecting fun. Glad you got it before somebody else did , and if you passed on it , then you would be saying to yourself why did I not buy that coin? Way to Go @ Hellbent!!. Dillan

Orfew and Hellbent like this.
  21. Sallent

Welcome to the JC club! Just beware the Ides of March. That Brutus guy makes a mean guacamole and nacho recipe, but I heard he does get a little "stabby" if you turn your back on him. Not his best quality if I'm honest.

ides_of_march 02.jpg

Hellbent likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted