Looking for a little direction in identification

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Lawtoad, Jan 13, 2019.

1. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Been looking and doing some research into this coin. As I am still a bit new in the ancient coin game, I find myself going down some wrong directions. Most of the legend on this coin is not readable. I believe the obverse portrait to be Antonious Pius. The reverse I believe to be Selus with a serpent. It is about 24 mm in size. I do have some reference books and of course the internet, but seem to have hit a wall.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. CoinBlazer

CoinBlazer Numismatic Enthusiast

Can we have a picture please

4. Lawtoad

Photos didn't load. on the way sorry

5. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

6. sunday13

sunday13 Active Member

Please let me know when you manage to upload the pics cause I m having trouble doing that also..

7. Lawtoad

Here are photos. They are not the best. Took them with my tablet.

P_20190113_145209_kindlephoto-208956831.jpg P_20190113_145239_kindlephoto-209085696.jpg

8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm far from an expert but it looks more like Commodus to me than Antonius Pius - I'm probably wrong fwiw. Unfortunately, I can't make out any of the letters.

dougsmit, Lawtoad and TIF like this.
  9. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Due to the coin's condition and images it's hard to say but I agree with Frogster-- it looks like Commodus, which means it could also be Marcus Aurelius, his daddy-- they look quite alike in their younger portraits.

The reverse has me puzzled. It's a male standing right, holding a staff/scepter with a snake twining around. Serpent-entwined staff generally = Asklepios (Aesculapius for the Roman equivalent) but the hand-on-hip slightly leaned forward pose is typical of Herakles but it looks like the figures is wearing a garment draped on his lower body, so that isn't typical for Herakles. The reverse pose also reminds me of some depictions of Apollo. I quick trip through ACsearch.info didn't yield anything similar. Looks like a job for ISEGRIM but I still don't have the hang of searching that database. (@Ed Snible, can you help?)

Asklepios seems like the best bet-- a Roman provincial issue.

Justin Lee, dougsmit and furryfrog02 like this.
  10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Still no luck-- just more puzzles. Asklepios's father, Apollo Iatrus, is pictured on some coins leaning on a serpent-entwined staff, his other hand on his hip, but he is nude. Hmm. I'll search a little more tomorrow if no one else has come up with a likely match.

Justin Lee likes this.
  11. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

12. Lawtoad

ASUS ZenPad Z8s

13. jamesicus

jamesicus Well-Known Member

I can’t help, sorry.

14. Ocatarinetabellatchitchix

Ocatarinetabellatchitchix Well-Known Member

Maybe Commodus Achaea ? 5509EA66-BD31-4D10-8816-B6E78AA53A4C.jpeg
    RPC vol IV 4622

Johndakerftw, TIF, Justin Lee and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted