looking for a book on foreign coins. please help

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by bryantallard, Jul 9, 2014.

1. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

once in a while at the coin machine ( or even in rolls ) I find odd and sometimes older coins. I would like to find a book that would tell suggested values (like the red book for American coins) and also tells what the composition of the coins are so I know if I have any silver content. ty

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Krause world coin catalog. new kind of pricey $50-75. used on Ebay usually cheap.

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

Yes, the KM catalogs are the standards. I would start with getting the 20th century one used on Ebay, maybe the 21st century one if you find a lot of world coins dated in the 2000's. But the key is buy it used on Ebay. Unless you are a world coin dealer, or specialize in world coins, no need to buy new. What you are looking for is information, not current market value really. The older ones will give you relative value, (i.e. if its $.50 in the old book, its unlikely its a valuable coin today).

5. Collect89

Collect89 Coin Collector

The Krause World coin catalogs are what you want. Each catalog today covers one century. You probably want the 1901-2000 catalog. They are available used from World coin dealers and are available on Ebay (used).
    IMG_5489 Cropped.jpg

6. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

7. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Lots of times, libraries will have these (or can order them for you.) Just a thought. :)

8. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

When buying these online, be careful that you understand what you are getting. There are books, searchable DVD e-books and pirated copyright violating DVD's made by photographing a book (PDF files if you are lucky, JPG's if not). The full set from India costs the same as the postage for the DVD. Buy the paperback if you collect these.

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

Draft saved Draft deleted