Look what the U-Scan coughed up...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by -jeffB, Jan 22, 2017.

1. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

AT? Maybe. "Market Acceptable"? Probably not. But it's certainly more interesting, and in a way more attractive, than yet another MS ATB quarter.

81p-rawinbow-obv.JPG 81p-rainbow-rev.JPG

My diffused-lighting setup needs work, and I need to get some daylight bulbs -- I've got warm-white LEDs, and even with my white balance set to "tungsten", things are a bit on the red-orange side. In hand, this thing has every color, in abundance. The reverse is particularly nice, quite concentric and well-ordered.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

It sets most of my alarms off, but that doesn't mean I don't like it. :)

Your camera is more than capable of correcting for whatever color of light you throw at it (as long as all lights are the same color temperature) with a Custom setting, worth exploring.

4. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

What is a U-Scan?

NOS likes this.
  5. -jeffB

Okay, figured out how to enter a numeric color temperature, and that's working out a lot better:

81p-rainbow-obv.JPG 81p-rainbow-rev.JPG

6. -jeffB

Self-checkout station at the grocery store. The folks supplying and loading the machines apparently aren't collectors; I've gotten silver, an impaired proof, and even balboas out of them.

gronnh20 likes this.
  7. -jeffB

It is what it is: a nice surprise in my change, but not something I feel compelled to run past a TPG. :rolleyes:

8. Blissskr

Blissskr Well-Known Member

I also find myself glad to find Washington's in change. It seems the super low relief States and ATB's don't hold up very well to circulation and look ugly fast.

gronnh20 likes this.
  9. -jeffB

I'm shooting RAW with a Canon T4i, and I'm currently without Photoshop (my version won't run on a modern OS, and I don't want to start paying Adobe monthly for the privilege of continuing to run it), so I'm having to use Canon's perhaps-over-generously-titled Digital Photo Professional. I may cave in on Creative Cloud eventually.

10. ddddd

ddddd Member

Definitely a keeper! It is perfect for an album or other raw set.

spirityoda likes this.
  11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

If you're already halfway comfortable with Photoshop, you owe it to yourself to give the Gimp a spin because understanding the generalities of how you do graphics work is half the battle of Gimp's supposedly "steep" learning curve. I had no trouble migrating from Photoshop, ten years ago. And it's Open Source, therefore free. :)

12. mynamespat

mynamespat Well-Known Member

They look ugly as soon as the spaghetti hair is minted on, imo.

13. -jeffB

Then again, apparently a coin like this can make it into a PCGS MS66 holder...

[​IMG]

Draft saved Draft deleted