LOOK WHAT JUST SOLD FOR $1,884.02

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Doug1974, Feb 27, 2015.

1. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

I just don't believe it ! This 1901-P MS63 Morgan dollar is worth close to $15.500 & I just watched it sell for $1,884.02 I am at a loss for word's !
    [​IMG][​IMG]

xCoin-Hoarder'92x likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

questionable slab?

Obverse is B&W or that slab should be in color.

4. RegisG

RegisG Member

I guess there is not a many buyers in the $15K range. The one at the auction with cash wins. Don't know what auction house that was but, definately the wrong one.

5. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Slab looks fake and the reverse of the coin looks a little off to me.

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

7. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

That's because it is an obvious counterfeit in an obvious counterfeit slab.

8. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

I think PCGS should save a few dollars by having there $20 slabs made in China.

oh wait.....

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

What I'm really curious to know is how far was the winning bidder willing to go to win this "beauty".

Chris

Doug1974 likes this.
  10. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

I would have had a Best Offer listing up. I wouldn't sell something for 10x less than it's worth in an auction. There's a high chance the seller cancelled the order. ;)

Or that. :banghead:

11. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Where's the listing? And why (other than the coin itself not matching the PCGS picture) is this an obvious fake or an obvious fake slab? I've got a PCGS holder in my hand that looks a lot like this one, except with an MS65 Buffalo nickel in it.

The only thing that looks too far off to me is that the coin is clearly not an MS63. It looks like an MS66 or better (though, I could be wrong with that B&W obverse pic). The surfaces are just too clean.

12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I'm surprised it sold for that much. The coin is Chinese and was probably made in the last year. The slab is also fake.

13. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Doesnt look right...damn they are getting good.

14. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I'm a little lost here. I don't see anything obviously wrong with the slab or the coin from these pics, other than the coin seems to be way too nice to be a 63.

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am not going to point out every difference, but there are a large number of things wrong with this one. Compare this coin to a genuine example (you can see a number of them in the Heritage archives). Both the coin and the slab scream "fake".

The most conclusive proof can be seen in clutchy's post above, however. The PCGS certification verification pictures show the coin - and it is clearly not the same coin.

16. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

Wow, didn't think it was this easy. I looked it up on PCGS myself. Totally a different coin than shown here.

Scammers better start picking up their scamming abilities. ;)

So, my best guess is - whoever had the wad of cash for a $15,000 piece probably researched the slab number before bidding.

Doug1974 likes this.
  17. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

Last edited: Feb 27, 2015
    jj00, xCoin-Hoarder'92x and JPeace$ like this.
  18. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

19. Doug1974

Doug1974 Active Member

Hello Chris All I know is that I was out bid in the last few seconds & it makes me sick that I lost it !

The EBAY item #
    Doug

Gilbert likes this.
  20. Quick side question on this. The pcgs coin is listed as 7272. The slab has a bunch of other numbers after the 7272--are those usually there and of so what are they for? It looks like if you want to verify a coin for pcgs--you just use the first 4 digits? Thanks

21. Ken Walker

Ken Walker Member

Its worth noting the seller has only had Two sales and one of them is Negative feedback
    New sellers do not usually start with dear coins

Draft saved Draft deleted