Look what happened to my T1

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mikem2000, Nov 9, 2013.

1. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I bought this T1 Buff about 6 years ago. It was an ugly gun metal gray, but I didn't pay much for it. About two years ago, I was playing around with dipping so I thought I would give this one a try. It came out near blast white and had good luster. I threw it in a Wayte Raymond US Minor type set board I had and forgot about it. I just looked at it today and it looked quite different. Interesting that this coin was the only one that toned in the board.

Mike

1913 t1 toned.jpg

Last edited: Nov 9, 2013
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

With the full horn that is a nice loooking Buff. What did you use to dip it in ? With a coin this nice I would be scared to try for improvements.

Dave

4. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Of the coins in the board, is that the only one you dipped?

I have always said the toning starts with the coin, not the storage environment. I've gone through full albums of coins where only some of the coins have toned.

5. TypicalCreepahx

TypicalCreepahx Hello There! ( ͡⚆ ͜ʖ ͡⚆)

Woah that is gorgeous... Would anyone be able to notice it was dipped if you hadn't told them?

6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

A type 2 Buff and a Jeff were also dipped and they are still white. The rest in the board were not and they still look about the same.

7. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

It's both. There are so many variables involved it boggles the mind.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Really nice coin. So is the Image.

Draft saved Draft deleted