Look of this coin?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mrgooch, Dec 14, 2013.

1. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

What do you think is the reason for the finish on this coin? Is it acceptable to collect?

Attached Files:

• $_57.JPG
      $_57.JPG
      File size:
      171.7 KB
      Views:
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

Reverse

Attached Files:

• $_3.JPG
      $_3.JPG
      File size:
      163.5 KB
      Views:
  4. Sean the Coin Collector

Sean the Coin Collector Active Member

Hmm i am very perplexed it looks like it was treated with something i can say what but if you like it sure it is worth collecting !!

5. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

I've noticed before that the fields on the '13 Buffs, both T1 and 2, can be strange. I don't know if this particular coin has been whizzed, but I've had a lot of strange 1913 Buffs. The fact that the coin in question isn't a key (if it were T-2, I'd be a little more hesitant) makes me feel better about it. AU-57? Weak strike? I'd wait for a Buff expert to chime in.

6. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

if s real its a 1913~d ddr buffalo nickel ms 68-69

7. sonlarson

sonlarson World Silver Collector

1913 buffallo nickel ms64.jpg If you are concerned about the appearance of the fields, that is normal. Here is an example in ms64. Sorry I don't have a better photo and coin is in SDB. So I can't take one now.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  8. Bob Moffatt

Bob Moffatt New Member

Hi My name is Bob and I am a coin dealer. I agree with reply #6. This is what the finish of a variety 1 Raised Ground 1913D should look like. This was Fraser's detailed design.
    Early in 1913 the mint realized that the raised Five Cents would wear down rapidly, and led to modification. Charles Barber Mint Engraver recessed the Five Cents, but he did not stop there. He got rid of a lot of the details that you see on your coin, and he smoothed out the fields.
    Your coin looks like a nice uncirculated example ( It is hard to grade from a picture).I would say it is very acceptable to collect.
    Bob

mrgooch likes this.
  9. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

10. mrgooch

mrgooch Active Member

A very clear answer. Thank you

11. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

You already have your answer but simply put it's called texture and that is how the coin should look. Your coin appears to have been struck with fairly new dies so the texture is still present everywhere. But as the dies are used that texture, because it is so shallow, is worn away by metal flow and becomes less and less visible as the die strikes more and more coins. That is why you will often see the texture only on some places on certain coins, and more or less on other coins.

12. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Is this the "orange peel" effect?

13. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

No, not at all. The orange peel effect occurs when dies get worn out.

This is exactly what I said it was, and what the posters in post #6 and #7 said it was, it is the normal texture that the coin is supposed to have. The dies were made that way. The texture on this coin is there because the dies that struck it were brand new, or almost brand new.

Draft saved Draft deleted