Look forward to your comments - Elizabeth 1 Half-Crown

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by SwK, Feb 4, 2016.

1. SwK

SwK Junior Member

HALF-CROWN-LIZ-1.jpg
    BRITISH COINS, Elizabeth I, seventh issue, halfcrown, mm. 1 (1601-1602), crowned bust l., with orb and sceptre, rev. shield of arms, dated 1 on each side at end of legend, sharp letters in both legends with the outer circle beading in evidence.

When Elizabeth Tudor died in the early morning of 24 March 1603 at Richmond Palace, she had lived for seven decades and had reigned as sole Queen of England for forty-five years.

Born to Anne Boleyn and Henry VIII, she grew up without a mother and all but ignored by her father, to whom she was more than a disappointment, not being a boy.

The English public knew almost nothing about her, and at court and in much of Europe she was considered to be illegitimate. When she passed away in old age, much of the world knew her as a brilliant monarch and she was greatly loved throughout her kingdom. As the day dawned on 24 March 1603, her coffin was lit by torches on a royal barge that carried her remains downriver to Whitehall.

A month later, her coffin was moved to Westminster Abbey. The hearse was drawn by four horses draped in black velvet. People were in their streets, houses, windows, that came out to see her statue lying upon the coffin.

Elizabeth I, Tudor, had altered the English monarchy in numerous ways, not the least of which was tendering to the Crown the true affection of her diverse subjects, a passion little felt for any previous royalty. Coins of Elizabeth, featuring a complete portrait very rare owing to the way most of the coins were struck.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2016
    jj00, green18, brg5658 and 11 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Great coin/writeup,thanks!....

4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Beautiful!!!!!

5. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Gemmy for Sure!!!
    Well explain and great write-up
    :)

6. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Well thats incredible!!

7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Beautiful and great write up.

8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

Absolutely splendid coin! FANTASTIC!!! :cool:

9. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

Very nicely struck coin!

:)

10. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Dang, that coin is Hammered!

(pun intended ;) )

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Lovely coin. Splendid speak.........

jello likes this.
  12. Devi Pun

Devi Pun New Member

SwK

Yes I will like to own this coin and I showed it to members of the Coin Club, everybody 'loves it', specially the sharp striking.

A rarity compared to the Crown

Devi

13. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Amazing piece and great background.

Draft saved Draft deleted