Look Familiar??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 19Lyds, Aug 25, 2016.

1. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

I came across this the other say and, needless to say, immediately recognized the pitch. Does it sound familiar to you?

Scan0003.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Very. What year is it from?

4. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Looks like 70s/80s font

5. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Don't know about the font but it sounds exactly like what I read in the 1980's. Of the reasons provided, everyone in the second category applies today just as it did in the 1980's. I don't know about supply deficits recently but regardless, everything in this clip is simply a rationalization because silver lost 93% of its value in nominal terms between 1980 and 2001, even as most or all of these factors applied. They didn't matter then and they are equally irrelevant now.

6. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

Fear and greed are great salesmen.

medjoy and green18 like this.
  7. Santinidollar

1970s and 80s. The era when the Hunt Brothers lost their shirts trying to corner the silver market. I would say goodie goodie gumdrop except a lot of people I know followed them like sheep led to slaughter.

8. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Font types change every decade or so. There's a science to dating printed material by fonts

9. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

THE SKY IS FALLING!

Again.

10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Two reasons why the price of silver may rise steeply:

1) It goes up.
    2) It goes up even more.

Chris

Nathan401 and dwhiz like this.
  11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

12. Santinidollar

A third reason: There are far more buyers than sellers.:D

13. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

1970's I believe. It worked then and it still works. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! :)

14. 19Lyds

Mid 1973.

The parts I found most interesting were the "demand for silver" and the "dollar to the brink of collapse" statements.

Basically, getting people to believe that Silver is not a GOOD investment but a GREAT Investment!

Today, silver has no demand in the industrial world. In the precious medal field, not so much since people LOVE to believe that silver will hit $50 an ounce again.

Fools then and Fools today.

15. Santinidollar

If silver ever hits $50 an ounce, we all will have much more to worry about than the price of silver.

Dimedude2, tommyc03 and Kentucky like this.
  16. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Since we cannot get political here, I would like to suggest an article at Conservative Times that starts out titled NASA predicts...mega drought exposed. It's an eye opener. It ends with a pitch for a book on self sufficiencey so you don't have to listen to the end, but it did end a 23 year investigative reporters career. Silver hitting $50.. an ounce is not impossible should this scenario come to fruition. Just listen and decide for yourself but please do not come back and turn this into a monster. Thanks.

17. 19Lyds

Such as the worry we all suffered through in 2011?

It's a freaking commodity that people want to believe will save them in an economic collapse?

Having a refrigerated truck load of pork bellies would accomplish the same thing!

18. 19Lyds

And the rhetoric "pushes on"!

I have YET to find a retail outlet or business that was equipped to handle silver as a form of payment.

My guess, is that ammunition would have far greater value should some anarchal catastrophy hit the country or world. Probably followed by water, food and gasoline.

You see, in times of "need" people trade what they don't need for what they DO need. Silver has no real value other than ornamentation and the perception of antibacterial properties such as use in "silver"ware which hasn't happened for better than 6-7 decades.

The US (and the rest of the world) stopped using silver in coins because the metal had high demand for "other" industrial uses (film, integrated circuitry) which caused it's price to exceed the face value of coinage which in turned contributed to coin shortages.

Precious metals as currency are LONG gone and any speculation in that direction is simply folly.

19. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The quickest way to debunk all the gold and silver myths of sellers is to just consider the fact that they are literally trying to trade you their metals for dollars. If it was anywhere near as good as they want everyone to believe or the life saver in emergencies they claim they would be hoarding metals not selling them

Santinidollar, SuperDave and 19Lyds like this.
  20. World Colonial

World Colonial Active Member

Yes, at some point, silver will hit $50 an ounce. And yes, its quite likely there will be a lot more to worry about or pay attention to that its price. The financial position of the typical American, developed world resident and probably most people is going to worse when this happens than it is now. Most people are going to continue to become poorer or a lot poorer.

21. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Tell that to China. I hear there's a possibility they are trying to be the first to go back to the gold standard

Ericred and tommyc03 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted