Longacre doubling explained -Newbies to Errors

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SensibleSal66, Oct 27, 2020.

1. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Hey everyone ! So, Iv'e only been a member for about a month and I'm new to Errors (embarrassingly so ) . Well I recently learned about Longacre Double when I posted my 1882 IHC and asked if it was a Doubled Die Obverse . Instead of reciting, I decided to provide you with an excellent Link and my Pics of my coin .
    http://numissociety.com/content.php?135-Longacre-Doubling-A-discussion
    1882 IH-Obv-horz.jpg 1882-2.jpg 1882-1.jpg 1882-3.jpg

Bob Evancho and capthank like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

now you got me checking 6-7 rolls of indian commons to see if i got one lol

4. SensibleSal66

Their only good for educational purposes , LOL
    Unless you try to post it on Etsy . LOL

5. mrweaseluv

I like oddities and errors :D

6. SensibleSal66

Thing is most of the problems aren't errors at all but just post mint damage or PMD . Also, I see a lot of Dryer coins

7. mrweaseluv

is one of the reasons i love large cents :D more dbl/over dates then any other series lol

8. SensibleSal66

Oh I love Largies ! Hate zincolns . Love everything else .

9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I am glad that someone found my article useful.
    Thanks for reading.

10. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Nice looking coin.

11. SensibleSal66

Thanks. Especially for being dug too .

12. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

I have always felt that Longacre deliberately added that small shoulder to the punches used to create the master dies as a visual aid so he would know when the punch had been driven deeply enough into the die. Longacre was not a die sinker, he was an engraver, in fact mostly a flat plate engraver. So he was not experience in knowing how deeply the lettering needed to punched. The shoulder also aided in die polishing/basining. When the shoulders disappeared the die would be properly basined and the lettering and devices would be at the proper desired relief above the field on the final coin. So a coin that still shows the Longacre doubling is from a die that wasn't properly finished.

After Longacre died the master dies and hubs he had made continued in use so the Longacre doubling effect can be seen long after he passed. But whenever the hubs were modified after he died, even if the general design didn't change, Longacre doubling disappears. For example on the Indian head cent Longacre Doubling is common until 1886, On the later date Hub of 1886 coins Longacre doubling is not seen. On the reverse that the last modification was the hub of 1870 which Longacre must have made in 1869 before his death. That hub was used through the end of the series and Longacre doubling can be found on the reverse through at least 1907.

SensibleSal66 likes this.
  13. Daniel Davis

Daniel Davis New Member

I just found that type of doubling on the reverse of a 1902

14. Lehigh96

Lehigh96 Toning Enthusiast

I sent this coin to NGC for a friend, noticed the Longacre doubling when I got it back. Shame about the grade though.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

longshot likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted