Long time no see

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by kevinc1001, Mar 31, 2015.

1. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Hello everyone I haven't been on here for a couple yrs. Glad to be back. Anyways I
    have two questions 1) Are silver rounds a good investment? I started to buy some but want to know before I waste more money on them? I heard that silver rounds don't bring in lots of money when it comes time to sell them over regular silver coins? And my 2) Are copper coins worth the money? I also have a few and I'm starting to like them but like the silver rounds am I wasting my money on them? Also will copper be worth anything like silver/gold?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

Welcome back Kevin.

When I buy silver bullion, I primarily buy ASE's or Maple Leaf's. You'll pay a bit more than silver rounds, but I think they're more liquid. If you don't want to pay that premium, I would suggest popular assayed bars like Johnson Matthey.

4. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

I did buy one ASE the 2015 yr my first BTW. My next coins are the Maple Leafs, The Chinese Pandas and the Kookaburras. Does it make a difference if I buy a 2015 compared to a 2014 etc? I noticed newer coins are usually cheaper then last yrs models? Thanks for the welcome back.

5. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I have Dansco's with ASE's, Kook's and Maple Leafs, so you're not alone.

The year only makes a difference if you're trying to put together a set. If your sole purpose is to buy liquid silver in the form of bullion pieces, than just buy whatever year is the least expensive. When you go to sell them, the buyer likely won't care either.

6. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Makes sense I was telling a friend of mine who also collects silver why should the yr make a difference? I mean silver is silver. Now if this was gold? That'd be different lol.

JPeace$ likes this.
  7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Welcome back Kevin.........

Long time, no sea.

[​IMG]

8. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Thanks for welcoming me back.

green18 likes this.
  9. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Silver rounds are a great investment, if silver happens to go up a lot in the near term. If it doesn't or if it goes down then they are a lousy investment. If we were actually able to predict the silver market movements we would all be rich. Let you in on a secret......We aren't all rich.

When you say copper coins I assume you mean the copper rounds. On these we can predict, NO they are lousy investments. Typical prices on those things are anywhere from $1 to $3 each. Even at $1 each that works out to $16 a pound (Copper isn't sold by troy weight.) Currently copper is under $3 a pound, so even if it went up 5X it would still be less than you paid. At the higher $3 per round it would have to go up 17X to break even.

10. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

Yes I meant copper rounds sorry about that. I do like some of the designs of the Copper rounds but do agree the prices are a little high.

11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If you like the designs and want to collect them for that reason that's fine as long as you realize that they are NOT an investment and you aren't likely to get your money back out of them. Collecting should be a fun hobby not something engaged in with the expectation of a return on investment. If ROI is important there are much better ways to go.

12. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Welcome back kevinc! I have nothing to add, all the advise here is sound. I collect ASEs by year and I have yet to get a 2015.

13. kevinc1001

kevinc1001 Member

My plan was to collect silver and some gold with copper once in awhile. But since gold is so much ATM silver and copper its gonna end up being for me.

Thanks and no hard feelings.

Draft saved Draft deleted