Long NGC wait times

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jim-P, Jun 7, 2021.

1. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Checking "Coin Collector" on HSN just now, my suspicions of long turn-around times at NGC have been reinforced. They're selling NGC graded 2021 silver eagles. I suspect NGC is working big orders for the big sellers. Their webpage is still showing "now opening submissions delivered the week of May 3." They received mine the week of May 10. Meanwhile, I just sent in another order to ICG today. Will probably send another order to ICG tomorrow.

OldSilverDollar and MIGuy like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Today, I'm grading coins that are due to go out on the 18th of June. Coins due to go out on the 14th are in QC right now. HOWEVER, we don't get several thousand coins a day except when the new issues come out.

If you just want speed, low prices, and a second opinion the second tier services deliver. :D

Stork, OldSilverDollar, MIGuy and 3 others like this.
  4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Bulk submissions have 0 impact on your collector submission. Both PCGS and NGC have separate bulk departments that are a separate work line

The long waits are a result of a combination of things not the least of which is significantly increased volume over the last year

OldSilverDollar likes this.
  5. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

I see ANACS certified are on the show this hour. They met the 4-6 week estimate on the order I sent them. I have sent them another order since. Some TPGs are just better equipped to handle the volume than others.

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

You do realize PCGS/NGC volume is significantly higher right?

OldSilverDollar and Insider like this.
  7. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

And PCGS met the expected turnaround time on my order, too. I've been a repeat customer to those TPGs that could handle their respective volume.

8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

What do you consider second tier?

9. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

I consider second tier to be Economy. ICG completed the two Economy Tier orders I sent them in less than 10 days. Unless estimated value is over the particular TPGs threshhold, Economy is fine with me.

Yes, I believe PCGS and NGC receive a greater volume of orders than ICG and ANACS.

10. Insider

baseball21, post: 7649472, member: 76863"]Bulk submissions have 0 impact on your collector submission. Both PCGS and NGC have separate bulk departments that are a separate work line

The long waits are a result of a combination of things not the least of which is significantly increased volume over the last year.

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious: Nice try.

Correct answer: :smuggrin:

You can have bulk, modern, vintage, ancient, foreign, and currency groups grading separately but the business has two major bottle necks that SLOW DOWN EVERYTHING.

The packages need to be processed and sorted at the beginning of the "tube" and they all come together at the end. So much was going out at one major service that the US Post Office opened a branch inside their building. As I posted above, IMO the turnaround times are unacceptable; yet dealers/collectors accept it SO NOTHING WILL CHANGE. :(

ICG and ANACS are considered to be second tier TPGS because their product is considered to be of less quality than the top two. In my biased opinion, I consider the "product" of the four major services to be equal. The only difference is personal preference, marketing, and attempts by folks with their hands in the pot who need to disparage ICG and ANACS. Thus, top tier services' slabs - no mater what is in them - usually bring more money. When buying a second tier slab there is less of a difference in cost.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2021
  11. Insider

It is not even close. ;)

12. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I have a Cointalk member discount batch at ICG right now ;) Including my 1921 SLQ that I'm psyched about. I haven't submitted to any of the others, how is your experience with NGC (other than slow)?

13. Kentucky

Seeing numerous postings where many people consider there are 4 first tier services, PCGS, NGC, ANACS and ICG, I was wondering what would be second tier.

14. Insider

There are four major TPGS. Folks have broken the four down into two parts:

first tier and second. SEGS is usually not mentioned and all the others are considered to be "fly-by-nights."

OldSilverDollar and Kentucky like this.
  15. Kentucky

OK

16. Jim-P

Jim-P Well-Known Member

Regarding TPG tiers, my starting point was the Grading Companies post within the Numismatic Resources forum on this site. That was my resource for pursuing grading service.

Nothing yet to report, my first order with them was opened today.

17. Vess1

Vess1 CT SP VIP

I've submitted small batches of stuff over several years to NGC for my registry set and others. You have to fill out the forms right and dot your Is and cross your Ts. But, the process makes sense so you get your own stuff back in the end.

As soon as it's graded and finalized you can click on the slab numbers to see what the grades are or wait for the box to show up. During Memorial Day weekend it took about a week to get the box back after they shipped my latest batch. The boxes are very discreet and well organized. You can watch guys opening them on youtube. It's not the cheapest thing in the world to do so you have to be sure you really want something graded if you send it in. The extra handling fee per tier and shipping adds on top of the service cost per coin.
    I appreciate the re-holder service because that is fairly cheap and it absolutely sucks having a very nice coin in an old slab that's so beat up from being sold a hundred times and handled at who knows how many shows until the plastic is so marked up you can't get a good picture of it. People are hard on slabs. If a coins for sale in a brand new fresh slab it's worth extra to me. They offer scratch resistant holders. I always get those. When my stuff comes back it's photographed and then the slab goes in a plastic binder page or Intercept Shield slip that protects the slab.

18. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

I bought the Elite membership early this year to take all my peace dollars getting the 100th anniversary label for them as bulk minimum was 50. then they raised it to 100 minimum. now today they send this Email regarding bulk cost per coin increase cost by grade given. they really only care about the whales I am disappointed with NGC.

quote:
    One of the most exciting benefits of NGC Elite membership is access to NGC’s industry-leading PreScreen and bulk program for submissions of large quantities of coins. The deals available to Elite members are the same as those offered to NGC Authorized Dealers.

Effective July 1, 2021, NGC is updating the fees for some vintage US coin bulk pricing.

NGC Vintage Bulk Pricing Updates:

Mint State Category Fee
    Lincoln Cents MS (1909-1958)

Up to 66 RD $8
    67 RD $18
    Buffalo Nickels MS
    65 $8
    66 $12
    67 $25
    Jefferson Nickels MS
    65 FS and 66 $8
    66 FS and 67 $15
    67 FS $25
    Mercury Dimes MS
    65 FB and 66 $8
    66 FB and 67 $15
    67 FB $25
    Roosevelt Dimes MS
    65 FT and 66 $8
    66 FT and 67 $15
    67 FT $25
    Washington Quarters MS
    Up to 66 $8
    67 $18
    Walking Liberty Halves MS
    Up to 64 $19
    65 $15
    66 $20
    67 $30
    Franklin Halves MS
    Up to 64 $6
    64 FBL and 65 $10
    65 FBL and 66 $15
    66 FBL and 67 $25
    Kennedy Halves MS
    Up to 66 $8
    67 $15
    Morgan & Peace Dollars MS
    63 $6
    64 $10
    65 $17
    66 $25
    67 $50
    Ike Dollars MS (Clad)
    Up to 65 $8
    66 $15
    67 $25
    Ike Dollars MS (Silver)
    Up to 66 $8
    67 $15
    68 $25

Proof & SMS Category Fee
    Lincoln Cents PF (1955-1964)

Up to 67 RD $8
    68 RD $10
    69 RD $20
    Jefferson Nickels PF (1955-1964)
    Up to 67 $8
    68 $10
    69 $20
    Roosevelt Dimes PF (1955-1964)
    Up to 67 $8
    68 $10
    69 $20
    Washington Quarters PF (1955-1964)
    Up to 67 $8
    68 $10
    69 $20
    Franklin Halves PF (1955-1963)
    Up to 66 $8
    67 $10
    68 $20
    69 $50
    Kennedy Halves PF (1964-1977)
    Up to 68 $10
    69 $25
    Ike Dollars PF (Clad & Silver)
    Up to 67 $8
    68 $12
    69 $15
    For PreScreen and bulk submissions, a minimum of 100 coins per type are required per submission form. The maximum value for coins dated before 1982 is $300. The maximum value for coins dated after 1982 is $2,000. Complete submission details can be found by logging into your NGC Elite member account and going to the “PreScreen and Bulk Deals” page from the “My Submissions” page.

19. OldSilverDollar

OldSilverDollar Unknown Member

ANACS & ICG are not 2nd tier I disagree all four companies have well educated & trained graders...what those 2 companies fail to realize after all these years from thousands of remarks online given as feedback by customers they still will not "modernize" the holders. the thing the majority care about. the holder is the show piece of the coin.

ANACS regarding that yellow label that many do not like. almost every thing i have seen points to people wanting a modern soapbox holder. they loved the style and size of those old white ones.

ICG the lack of a nice White/Gold or White/Silver label and just label options in general has hurt them. they need to look at the holder, look at the type of plastic and get rid of the rough sealant around the holders edge, update the QC on the holders and make them more scratch resistant with a more premium feel. it's a nice design but needs a haircut.

My point is for the average collector our only experiences with the TPG is the holders and how it looks in the collection. an ugly/outdated holder or no label options with only an ugly green/yellow label help push the inferiority narrative the big duopoly likes to spotlight to make them look better and convince collectors ANAC/ICG as inferior .

Just my two cents.:phantom:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2021
  20. Insider

OldSilverDollar, posted: "ANACS & ICG are not 2nd tier I disagree all four companies have well educated & trained graders...what those 2 companies fail to realize after all these years from thousands of remarks online given as feedback by customers they still will not "modernize" the holders. the thing the majority care about. the holder is the show piece of the coin.

ANACS regarding that yellow label that many do not like. almost every thing i have seen points to people wanting a modern soapbox holder. they loved the style and size of those old white ones.

ICG the lack of a nice White/Gold or White/Silver label and just label options in general has hurt them. they need to look at the holder, look at the type of plastic and get rid of the rough sealant around the holders edge, update the QC on the holders and make them more scratch resistant with a more premium feel. it's a nice design but needs a haircut.

My point is for the average collector our only experiences with the TPG is the holders and how it looks in the collection. an ugly/outdated holder or no label options with only an ugly green/yellow label help push the inferiority narrative the big duopoly likes to spotlight to make them look better and convince collectors ANAC/ICG as inferior .

Just my two cents.:phantom:"

o_O:confused::wacky: :hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Thanks for two zinc cents that are badly damaged due to road rash. While some collectors collect pretty slabs and ugly slabs issued by various TPGS over the years, Numismatists collect the coins in them. ;)

PS Pretty labels are a great marketing ploy to sell coins. I love a pretty label.

Draft saved Draft deleted