Long Branch Saloon Token

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mralexanderb, Aug 26, 2010.

1. mralexanderb

mralexanderb Coin Collector

I came accross this token and I thought it had been discussed before, here on CoinTalk. Any responses or info would be appreciated. Photos to follow.

Bruce

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. mralexanderb

I did lighten the photos considerably as the token is a deep chocolate brown and seem to be from the mid to late 1800's. The hole looks like the owner couldn't part with it and wore it right through.

Bruce

4. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

ah, the old Long Branch Saloon with a bullet hole.

5. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

I can't be certain 100%, but if my memory serves me correctly, this is a fantasy brothel token, not the same as a original period token.

6. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

That would be my opinion as well.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Ahem, bring back memories for ya Frank? just kidding!! I couldn't pass it up!! :D

8. BR549

BR549 Junior Member

It appears his lance went limp or he bent it in battle.

9. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

It's also mighty convenient that the "bullet hole" is in a spot where almost none of the design is effected.

10. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Yep a damaged modern fantasy.

11. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Hey, ya never know! Place it on ebay and just say it's a ruined token you don't know anything about!! Hope the bidders don't use google! :D Kidding!! of course

12. mralexanderb

So, I guess the story of this token is blown wide open. It's a fantasy for sure. His lance will forever stay limp.

Bruce

13. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Let's no discuss hookers here ok?

14. Honolulu Dick

Honolulu Dick Junior Member

Agreed! Let's not be crude. Henceforth, we shall refer to them as "ladies of the night."

However, in keeping with the theme of the coin, if that is an image of Sir Lancelot, he sure in hell bent his lance a lot. Anyway, he had a reputation for the knightly virtue of being frugal. Therefore, he frugaled as many ladies of the night as he could get his knightly hands on.

Before anyone unnecessarily get their boxer shorts twisted in a knot, allow me to explain that to be frugal is to be thrifty. And, to be thrifty is to save. It follows then that Sir Bentalance saved many such questionable ladies. We aren't told what he saved them fore, but urban legend has it that he died with a giant grin on his face.

15. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Can I just say that I believe it to be a fantasy token because a real one would have a set amount of value ? This is an advertisement item and not tender. IMHO

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Same here.

Draft saved Draft deleted