"Lone Star Note" (2001 $1 K..*)

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Numbers, May 8, 2011.

1. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

In my ongoing quest to straighten out all the kinks in the BEP's serial number data, I'm becoming a bit puzzled by the 2001 $1 Dallas star.

Many of these notes were sold by the BEP in collector folders, promoted as the "Lone Star Note". In fact, those folders may be the *only* source of this note--I haven't heard of any found in circulation.

The trouble is that the BEP reported printing 3,200,000 of these K..* notes, which seems *far* too large a number for collector sales. Moreover, all observed serials are clustered in the highest sheet numbers of the run. I'm beginning to suspect that the true printage (or at least the quantity released) is much lower than reported, perhaps as low as 128,000.

So, my requests of you: If you have a "Lone Star Note", could you please post the serial number and plate position? And if you have a 2001 $1 K..* note that's *not* in a "Lone Star Note" folder, could you please post those as well?

Thanks much for any assistance you can provide. :cool:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

[​IMG]

I have two more, but they are in the SDB, and have not been scanned. I have the serial numbers now, but will have to get back to you on the plate numbers. (K05097909* & K04896988*).

BTW ; The note does not have two Treasury seals. The scan was taken while the note was still in the original BEP sleeve, with the black Treasury seal imprinted on the lower right.

4. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

What's a lone star note?

5. RickieB

RickieB Expert Plunger Sniper

It was a speciality product sold through the BEP a while back.
    Printed for the Dallas, TX District..aka The Lone Star Note.

RickieB

6. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

Just ordered 2 for my Dallas district set. Will post results upon arrival.

7. Jon H

Jon H Junior Member

K 03796663*
    plate position: F1
    Hope this helps
    Jon

8. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

That helps quite a bit, yes. Looking at the last five digits of the serial, your note is from sheet number 96,663 out of the 100,000-sheet run. That's actually the *lowest* sheet number I've seen yet from this run (it beats out a 96,696 that's in my collection). I don't know what happened to the first 96,000 sheets of the run, but they don't seem to be turning up anywhere.... :confused:

9. jcakcoin

jcakcoin New Member

Okay, so was it printed in Fort Worth???

10. clayirving

clayirving Supporter**

This is mine with Plate# C14/7.

[​IMG]

11. TheNoost

TheNoost huldufolk

K 03497130 * Ppos C1 FP#C27 BP#18
    K 03497131 * Ppos C1 FP#C31 BP#4

12. fltacoma

fltacoma New Member

Time to resurrect an old thread. I just found two "Lone Star Notes" with Ser. No. 0329XXXX

13. fltacoma

fltacoma New Member

Hello All!

Time to resurrect an old thread! I just found two "Lone Star Notes" with serial numbers' 0329XXXX.

14. Numbers

Numbers Senior Member

Cool! But it doesn't help much if you XXXX out half of the serial number.... :D

By the way, I'm more confused about this printing than ever. I still haven't seen any sheet numbers below 96,000, so it still looks like only the last 4,000 sheets of the run (that's 128,000 notes) were actually printed. But I've come across two reports of full straps of K..* notes from this run, both still from those last 4,000 sheets. I don't know whether that means the BEP issued a few notes from this run to circulation, or whether it just means the Lone Star Notes are so common that some dealer had 100 consecutive and made up a strap! If the former, then this may be the shortest modern run issued in strap form; most short runs have been used as replacement sheets.

15. fltacoma

fltacoma New Member

That's true.

K03296465*
    K03296466*

16. fltacoma

fltacoma New Member

K05996345* is the highest that I have seen (just browsing the internet) which brings the difference to 2,699,880. I think they may have skipped print runs?

17. K05898210*- K05898209*
    C17/7 C14/5
    found these in dads shoe box he left me

18. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

These Lone Star notes are still readily available.

19. Drawde

Drawde Lurking and learning...

Here is my entry... K03399432* B1 5

20. Paparay

Paparay New Member

I have a 96306 and 305

Draft saved Draft deleted