London Mint additions over the last few months

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by thejewk, Jan 10, 2022.

1. thejewk

thejewk Well-Known Member

Last year was an odd one for me, and I found far fewer interesting coins than in the previous year, which, combined with our purchasing of our first house, led to me posting here a lot less. Now we're moved in, and I am starting to have a bit of time to myself, I thought I'd post a few of my purchased from last year, and one from this year, to share where my collection has been going.

Allectus_Galley_Laetitia-removebg-preview (2).png
    RIC 124
    IMP C ALLECTVS P F AVG
    LAETITIA AVG QC
    3.03g, 20mm

A nice and complete Laetitia galley coin of Allectus to complement my other Allectus coin with the figure of Laetitia on the reverse.

Constantine_Sol_Superman-removebg-preview.png
    LMCC 7.08.001 (VAR)
    CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    SOLI INVICTO COMITI
    -/*/PLN
    4.53g, 23.33

A little soft on the strike, but I couldn't resist a Superman Sol. In most of the many issues of Sol coins at London, Sol's cape drapes only to the right. Commonly in this particularly issue, for an unknown reason, Sol gets to play the super hero with a full flowing cape.

Constantine_Principi_Star-removebg-preview.png
    LMCC 7.11.003
    CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    PRINCIPI IVVENTVTIS - Prince standing right, head right, in military dress, cloak hanging behind, spread, right holding transverse spear, left globe.
    */-/PLN
    3.74g, 21.5mm
    Found Sleaford, Lincolnshire, purchased from the detectorist

A rough but scarce coin in the star series that I actively collect, I was glad to add an unrepresented new type to my collection.

Constantine_Virtus_Exercit-removebg-preview.png
    LMCC 9.02.001, RIC 191
    CONSTANTINVS AVG
    VIRTVS EXERCIT - Standard inscribed VOT/XX in two lines, standing on ground, captive seated on either side.
    PLN
    3.77g, 19mm
    Found in Somerby, Lincolnshire, September 2012, purchased from detectorist.

A nice example of a common type, but a type not yet represented in my collection. Other than some minor surface issues, which my photograph exacerbates, the strike is strong and looks like it was minted yesterday. Slightly off centre on the reverse, but that is very very common at London from the 9 series coins as the flans became smaller.

Crispus Beata PA PLON.jpg
    LMCC 9.04.022
    CRISPVS NOBIL C
    BEATA TRANQVILLITAS
    P/A/PLON
    2.97g, 19mm

A rare Crispus, and surprisingly my first Crispus coin. It's a shame that the strike is a little weak on the front, making the plume of his helmet faint, but again this is a common issue with these 9 series coins as they became more fiddly to handle. Otherwise it's in superb condition, and I'm happy to add it.

Constantine_VLPP_PAVG_1-removebg-preview.png Constantine VLPP PAVG.jpg
    LMCC 9.01.010
    CONSTANTINVS P AVG
    VICTORIAE LAETAE PRINC PERP - Lozenge with dot pattern on altar
    3.48g, 19.mm
    Ex Lodge Antiquities, VCoins

Another series which I really like, and a very rare obverse legend variety not in the British Museum and known from a handful of examples, with a great strike in great condition. The first picture is mine and reflects the colour quite well, and shows the remaining silvering on the obverse. The second image is from the vendor which helps show the existing detail far better than mine.

Not a bad haul, and I'm glad to have them all. Unfortunately an exciting addition, an 'Invasion Follis' of Constantius, had a massive outbreak of bronze disease in transit, and had to be returned. Hopefully another with crop up this year.

Please share anything you feel relevant.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

thejewk, That's an exceptional group of London Mint folles :happy:. My favorite is the Constantine I, VOT/XX follis. Both dies were superbly engraved & the coin was struck from fresh dies. Having the found info makes this coin extra special ;). Another nice feature with the last 5 coins is they all have the London mintmark. Dealers charge a hefty premium for that mintmark. My last coin of Constantine I is pictured below, it was struck on a large flan & also has the PLN mintmark.

Roma E-Sale 75, Lot 805 image (2).jpg
    Constantine I, (struck AD 307-310), London Mint. Billon Nummus: 28 mm, 6.57 gm, 8 h. C & T 5.04.003. Ex Italo Vecchi Collection.

ancientone, Curtisimo, Bing and 2 others like this.
  4. thejewk

@Al Kowsky That's a lovely example. I only have the Maximianus 'second reign' issue of the early Genio Pop ROM types, so it is on my list. Nice provenance too.

5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Great coins and some fine additions to your collection.

thejewk likes this.
  6. IMP Shogun

IMP Shogun Well-Known Member

7. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Here's a couple additional types of Constantine I from the London mint:
    15.jpg
    London mint, A.D. 307-310
    RIC 108
    Obv: IMP CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    Rev: MARTI PAT-RI PROPVG - Mars, holding transverse spear and shield
    PLN in exergue
    24 mm, 7.4 g.

26.jpg
    A.D. 310-312
    RIC 195
    Obv: CONSTANTINVS P F AVG
    Rev: CONCOR-D MILIT - Concordia holding standard in each hand
    PLN in exergue; star in right field
    23 mm, 4.2 g.

37.jpg
    A.D. 312-313
    RIC 246
    Rev: FELICIT-A-S AVGG NN - Roma, helmeted, seated left, holding globe in left hand, raising branch with right
    PLN in exergue; star in left field
    23 mm, 4.2 g.
    43.jpg
    A.D. 312-313
    RIC 277
    Rev: SECVRI-TAS AVGG - Securitas, standing, head turned left, with legs crossed; holding right hand on head and leaning left arm on column
    PLN in exergue; star in left field
    23 mm, 4.5 g.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2022
    seth77, thejewk, Johndakerftw and 2 others like this.
  8. thejewk

A fabulous selection of rare types I haven't had the chance to bid for yet.

9. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

You should be able to track down the first two types without too much difficulty. The second two are more challenging.

thejewk likes this.
  10. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got an example of a London minted ancient. It's my first from London and the first ancient I identified by myself. It was listed as a follis of Licinius I. I had to figure out the rest. I know for some, it isn't that difficult to do, but I'm new to ancients, so I was pretty proud of myself. My terrible photos plus an example of the coin from Numista with info.
    Polish_20220112_111509153.jpg Polish_20220112_111433701.jpg
    Screenshot_20220112-110149.png

Johndakerftw, thejewk and Bing like this.
  11. thejewk

Nicely done! It's good practice to attribute coins yourself, and it gets easier the more you do it. Here's my example of that type:

Licinius_London_Genio-removebg-preview (2).png

Bing, Johndakerftw and Joshua Lemons like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted