Londen Underground coins being released

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by mrbrklyn, Oct 25, 2012.

1. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Two coins on that one occasion is a little much methinks, but the Royal Mint has done that before ... I do like the "MIND THE GAP" motto on the edge. :)

Christian

4. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

I doubt that anyone in NY would make a commen for the subway

5. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

I agree. How could you make a planchet from spit?

6. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Well, the one in London was the first subway/underground in the world. But even in Germany a subway commem was issued in 2002, so why not have one in the US too?

Christian

7. areich

areich America*s Darling

There are a multitude of reasons, the biggest one is that people hate the MTA.

8. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Not only that, but the NYC subway is a local government thing, and the feds don't care (although they might care now). I guess we will have to be satisfied with the subway token.

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Hmm, in most European cities the subway is not operated by anything federal/national either. ;) What could play a role is that in the case of London, Berlin, etc. the country's first subway system was opened in the capital, which around here is often the biggest city too ...

Christian

10. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

Its still different. In England, when they want to do something with the under ground, Parliament just does it.

11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Dunno. It's sure different here, except that the funds for a new line come primarily from the state and the feds, not from the city that gets it. ;) Anyway, so far I have not seen any designs for the coins. I still think that two is a little much. Interestingly, the only other "£2 pair" I am aware of was also dedicated to transportation, in a way - they commemorate I. K. Brunel ...

Christian

12. mrbrklyn

mrbrklyn New Member

13. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

14. areich

areich America*s Darling

What sort of name was that?

15. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

16. jlblonde

jlblonde Señor Member

I've come to realize that this thread may be read to mean nothing.

17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Some more British coins to be released next year. No designs yet, and that applies to the London Underground coins too.

£5 - 60th Anniversary of the Queen's Coronation
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/iss...2012-10-19;all=coinage+act;atleast=coronation

£2 - 350th Anniversary of the First Striking of the Guinea
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/iss...from=2012-01-01;to=2012-10-19;all=coinage+act

£1 - New Series* with Floral Symbols of Different Parts of the UK
    http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/iss...to=2012-10-19;all=coinage+act;exact=one+pound

(* That means four pieces: England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. Whether all four or just the first one will be issued in 2013, I don't know yet.)

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted