LOL CNG Bidder Name: Clio-ed

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Mar 3, 2018.

1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I noticed that someone is bidding in the latest CNG e-auction using the name "Clio-ed".

That is pretty funny.

I wonder if it will stop Clio from obliterating their bids?

Oops: Moderators can you move this to the Ancients forum?

John

randygeki, dlhill132, ominus1 and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TIF

TIF Always learning.

4. 4to2centBC

4to2centBC Well-Known Member

I currently own Clioed. I believe the new alias is Clio-ed (not mine.) I have not bid in the current e-auction, but I planned on retiring Clioed since it got me no love.

I am not sure if CNG retires or reserves old aliases. I have retired aliases mid auction and created a new one to shed attention. I have not tried to revive one, once retired. I don't know if someone can use another persons retired alias.

I do have fun with some of them (Pavlovsright was one.) I stole the idea from you TIF. I already have an idea for my next one.

ominus1, Theodosius, Jay GT4 and 2 others like this.
  5. TIF

TIF Always learning.

:D

I change my CNG bidder handle like underwear. I don't remember if I've ever reverted to a previous name. Perhaps I'll try just to see what happens. I suspect their platform will allow it. I've even changed bidder names in mid-auction. It is possible to win coins in one auction under more than one bidder name!

6. Jbruce

Jbruce Well-Known Member

I tried to bid on CNG but couldn't because I'm not a registered bidder yet. How long does it take to get approved? I signed up A week ago.

I will have to keep an eye out for this Clio that I've read so much about on CT.

Quant.Geek likes this.
  7. 4to2centBC

Clio is either Keyser Soze or Verbal Kint...............he sees you, you don't see him.

:peeking:

Jay GT4 and Quant.Geek like this.
  8. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Or Scrooge McDuck.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

There are many people who have outbid me for coins I wanted. TIF's underwear technique (that might be a good ID) might protect you from people who might spite you by driving up your costs but it also would open you to bids from friends who would not bid against a friend. It depends on whether you have more friends than enemies. That is why eBay stopped posting our handles openly years ago. I know I had friends laying off my marked 'property'.

As far as Clio goes: I do not know him. I wish I did. He has excellent tastes in coins and IMHO being outbid by him is a sign that you do, too. I would rather lose a coin to someone who likes coins than to some investor trying to park his gains from other investments currently on the slide or from illegal activities where he is just buying randomly to launder drug deals. Clio's wins will not be made into jewelry, scrubbed with a Brillo pad or put away never to be enjoyed by anyone. I he writes a book on his collection, I might buy it. If he were to join Coin Talk, I would read his posts. I do admit curiosity as to how many bids he places in each sale and how many he wins. That is none of my business but that does not keep me from wondering. I hope he is recording his collection with good photos so the book I may buy someday will be really good looking.

10. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Hmm, that doesn't sound like their usual responsiveness. Just give them a call and ask them about it. They're all very nice. Karen Zander is the person at CNG I deal with most often.

Alegandron likes this.
  11. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

Clio #2 (aka Clioed), meet Clio #3 (aka Clio'ed). Still waiting to meet Clio #1. Clio'ed didn't help at all, so I changed my handle. Sorry if I Clio'ed any of you during the auctions... :D

ominus1 and 4to2centBC like this.
  12. Jbruce

Jbruce Well-Known Member

Better to get Clio'ed to the face than stabbed in the back by a nobody.

13. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Those who know, won't say...those who'll say, don't know!

ominus1 and 4to2centBC like this.
  14. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

It took me, 5 minutes to get aproved:shame:

15. 4to2centBC

This is what it feels like to be Clio'ed.

[​IMG]

I have a chance with a nobody.

Quant.Geek, Jbruce and panzerman like this.
  16. TIF

TIF Always learning.

I Clio people just about every time I win something. Not sorry :D

(Notice I said "...every time I win something." Much of the time, my bids aren't robust enough to win and one of the many other Clios of the coin world walks away with my target.)

To me, bidding in the final seconds of a timed closure auction is the most sensible thing to do, unless you won't have access to a computer around closing time.

Nathan401 and panzerman like this.
  17. Quant.Geek

Quant.Geek Well-Known Member

As @4to2centBC indicates, the handle didn't help. Clio clio'ed Clio'ed! :wideyed: Once that happened, it was time to move on to another handle...

4to2centBC and Jay GT4 like this.
  18. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

haha! not much pity eh?..:p

Draft saved Draft deleted