local estate auction! good gamble?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by mhenryfishing, Jun 8, 2013.

1. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

There was an online estate auction here locally this past week. The bidding ended earlier today. Tons of walking libs, franklins, Kennedys, silver quarters, etc... I bid on and won many of the auctions for under spot which I thought was good. But there were many rolls of half dollars that weren't advertised as silver like the other lots were. It just said assorted on the lot listing... there were 8 lots like this with $30 face value in rolls in each lot. Upon investigating, each ender on each roll that I could make a date out on looked to be a 1969. I won each lot for $35.... and every lot had at least one legible date that had a 1969. What do you guys think? $35 a good gamble on this? That's a total of 24 rolls for very little over face value...crossing my fingers that they are solid silver!!! silver_auction_pics.jpg This is my first time purchasing a lot of coins like this....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hope it works out.

4. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

JFK half dollars from 1969 are 40% silver, not 90% silver, but this still means that each coin has about $3.20 in silver in it. Therefore, if these are 40% rolls then each is about $64. It is not uncommon to buy or sell 40% rolls at a discount to their spot content, but you still do extremely well.

5. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

If there was $30 face value in the lot and you only paid $35 with at least one guaranteed 40% then I'd say you definitely took a good gamble. 2 40%ers per $30 lot and you pretty much break even, any beyond that is pure profit :thumb:

6. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Hope the end coin was not bait.

7. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

I will update tomorrow or Monday when I go pick up everything.... If it works out how I drew it up in my head you will probably hear me yell from here. haha. I love to coin roll hunt...so hopefully this will be exciting!

8. Tinpot

Tinpot Well-Known Member

If it was bait they did a pretty poor job advertising since it sounds like he could barely make out the date on some of them. Worst case if all the enders were bait he lost about $2.50 per auction.

9. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

I think that you did well. Hopefully, you'll get a few more 40% silver coins in the roll.

10. BigTee44

BigTee44 Well-Known Member

put them up on ebay as unsearched rolls!

11. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

Did ya'll hear me yell?!?!? They are all full of 1969 Kennedy's in BU condition!!! I feel sick! Pics to come soon!

12. largecent37

largecent37 Coin Collector

Awesome find! Can't wait to see the pics!

13. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

Wow!!

Auction_shotgun_rolls_kennedy.jpg These 21 rolls are solid 1969 40% kennedys. Should I leave these in the bank wrapped rolls or put them in clear tubes/containers. Are they more valuable being in the original wrappers? All of the coins on the inside are Brilliant Uncirculated. Some of the enders have a little tone, or a couple marks on them. The rest of the rolls I bid on are mixed...some silver some clad. I'm still going through the mixed rolls. More pictures soon! I paid $35 for each lot that contained $30 face value (3 rolls). So basically I paid $11.65 for each roll!!!

14. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

You did good! I think I'd have bought them too, the worse thing that could happen would be a $5 loss per lot.

15. mhenryfishing

mhenryfishing Member

mixed_auction_roll.jpg estate_silver_rollfinds.jpg total_estate_silver_found.jpg Just finished going thru all the other rolls. Totals for the other rolls were 95 x 40% and 3 x 1964!!! Total silver found from 41 total rolls from estate auction- 25 rolls x 40% plus 15 loose 40% halves, and 3 x 1964 loose halves. 21 rolls are uncirculated 1969's still in band wrapped rolls.

16. Phil Ham

Phil Ham Hamster

Yes, you did very well. Congrats on a great find. This is what makes coin collecting such a fun hobby.

Draft saved Draft deleted