Local coin shop. Should I deal with this place?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Swervo513, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

If you have to ask, the answer is no. Plus, don't buy coins without seeing them. Even if the grades are technically correct, it says nothing about eye appeal.

green18 and Swervo513 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

None of the coins you listed are so unique you cannot find them somewhere else - albeit without having the distinct dishonour of having to deal with fools. My best buying experiences have usually been through the BST of coin forums.

green18, Stevearino and Swervo513 like this.
  4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

First, the notion that buying online is always the way to go is pure idiocy. All the coins available online didn't magically appear there. While some may be traded at the wholesale level online, the great majority still come from in-person transactions. Where do you think many of the non-dealer eBay sellers acquire inventory? Think about this for a moment if you will... what does this tell you in regards to opportunity, particularly for one willing to invest the time and effort?

As for dealing with this particular gentleman, or any seller or dealer for that matter, you'd be wise to focus only on the goal and not the meaningless. Sure, it'd be nice if everyone was friendly and accommodating, but reality tells us something much different. Would you not buy a coin from someone who dresses in a way you dislike? I'd like to think not, so why worry about the guy's personality if he has the coin you want and can get it at a price you're happy with. The point is your goal should be the main concern, so why not only let, but place the meaningless in your way? Sometimes it's simply in our best interest to set it aside.

Swervo513 likes this.
  5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

Their prices are not unfair, especially if you like their quality.

If they were rude to you on more than one occasion I would not return, however there could have been circumstances of which you were not aware. You might have unwittingly insulted them, they might have just dealt with the loss of a family member, or something else may have put them in a state that you'll not likely encounter again.

If it was just a single instance of rudeness, I'd give them the benefit of the doubt, return to the shop, and keep working with them as long as they are civil.

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I don't like grumps, but sometimes grumps turn about to be great friends, once they know you. Give them a chance or two to change their attitude toward you. If there's no improvement after a couple of visits, I'd give them the boot.

As for buying coins 'sight unseen', that's a fools errand. Never trust another set of eyes for your own.......

Swervo513 likes this.
  7. Swervo513

Swervo513 Well-Known Member

This is precisely where I was going with my inquisition. After looking up a few prices they seem to be either spot on or slightly lower than the PCGS registry. I'm inclined to buy them granted that their grades are indeed correct.

8. Maxfli

Maxfli Well-Known Member

My experience as well.

Santinidollar likes this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

A rude storefront where you can't see the merchandise before buying stuff priced at full retail? Move on. Buy at shows, use preloaded debit cards online, send money orders. I don't see a reason to reward a retail establishment that's incapable of putting on a happy face for a customer.

[​IMG]

Swervo513 likes this.
  10. JAY-AR

JAY-AR Well-Known Member

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! Love it John!!!!!!Good one!!!!!

11. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

There is absolutely no reason between Internet dealers, coin shows and a good store dealer like the one that I trade with to ever buy a coin sight unseen.

As far as rudeness goes, I won't fathom a guess, but one thing is plain -- this guy is not operating in a take it or leave it market, even though he may be appearing to act that way.

Draft saved Draft deleted