Local bus token value

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Zako, Dec 29, 2015.

1. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

I got this local bus token and I can't seem to find any real info on it so could someone help me out on this one

Scan_Pic0001.jpg Scan_Pic0002.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

4. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

5. mouse

mouse Active Member

This token is a nice keepsake and, is worth a dollar or two.

6. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

I collect bus tokens. :) Have a couple from my own city that's been in the family for decades.

7. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I used to collect bus tokens as well. Some of them are really nice looking and hard to find, some of them not so much. I picked up the hobby of bus tokens mostly b/c it was a cheap way to collect cool looking tokens. Some get real pricey like the Shanghai bus tokens. Here's a link on some Shanghai's, too pricey for me.

http://china-mint.info/forum/index.php?topic=6639.0

8. SeberHusky

SeberHusky Member

$300 is a lot. I'm just starting out with 99 cent ones :p

9. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

One of my military trade tokens is a bus token, for Ladd AFB, AK. Sadly I don't have a picture and I'm traveling otherwise I would share it. Exonumia, including tokens, can be challenging to put a value on. There are no price guides, population reports, or extensive mintage reports. I'm not a bus token collector so I have little to contribute but I suspect you token is worth under $10. Probably around $1-$3 but with any numismatic item, if you find the right buyer it could be worth more. Hopefully you keep it and begin exploring exonumia. You can find items that are relevant or local to you for fractions of what a graded Morgan could cost. In my opinion exonumia is more fun then regular circulating coinage because of the challenges and affordability of the tokens. Since you like the fact this bus token is from your area, consider searching for merchant tokens from the same town. You might be surprised by what you come up with. Good Luck!

10. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

I was just cataloging some transportation tokens tonight, so I happen to have an Atwood Coffee catalog at hand. The system in that catalog is to group all the tokens within a state, then add a number for the city, then break each token type down with a unique letter identifier.

ie: OH 835 A

The only information it has on this token (which is the only one cataloged from Stuebenville OH - city #835) is WM 20 S-sc "Good For One Zone Ride" $0.15 value (c1963)

That means it is White Metal, 20mm in diameter, "S" incuse, and with a scalloped edge.

11. cladking

cladking Coin Collector

It's a much better token.

It's catalog Ohio 835A White Metal 20mm S (stencil cut) and lists at 60c and was issued in 1953.

Tokens like this will sell to knowledgeable collectors at prices up to a few dollars. I lack it myself. If there were more than a few hundred in existence I'd probably have one.

12. Zako

Zako Well-Known Member

Well if anyone would like to know I found that token cleaning out my garage. It was up in the rafters in a small box with some junk in it.

13. cwtokenman

cwtokenman Coin Hoarder

The Atwood-Coffee History reference, of which I could not find a copyright nor publish date, indicated that the City of Steubenville took this system over in 1969, was presently utilizing 7 buses, and still using this token as a 60 cent fare.

14. Michaelangelo

Michaelangelo New Member

Have a 2001 New York quarter that was have struck on one side I'm trying to find out what the value of it would be.

Attached Files:

15. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Hello @Michaelangelo and welcome!

You would be better served by creating your own thread instead of replying to one about a bus token.

Draft saved Draft deleted