Lobbyists Press for US Dollar Coin

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Endeavor, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. KurtS

KurtS Die variety collector

From the article: "But many people won't use them. The U.S. government tried to push dollar coins again in recent years, but then suspended almost all production in 2011."

Stop printing $1 notes and people will get accustomed soon enough to $1 coins.

Paddy54, 19Lyds, Jwt708 and 1 other person like this.
  4. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

The $1 bill must die. They are such a waste of both money and resources to keep circulating.

It would also help if the $1 coin was closer to the size of a dime. 60 years ago dimes were worth present-day dollars and they circulated.

KurtS likes this.
  5. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

Yep only way it works is kill the paper dollar.

IMO kill the Paper $5 also and start printing $500's and $1,000 again.
    And while we are at it the cent and nickel goes too...

6. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

Yep dollar coins won't circulate when there's a bill.

KurtS likes this.
  7. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

The problem is NOT the general public. The problem is that merchants (You know, the ones that give change?), do not order dollar coins for change since the paper dollar is cheaper to ship.

They won't have to "train" cashiers to use the coins instead of automatically reaching for the bills.

When I was in Europe back in late 2010, when I bought something at the local supermarket, the cashiers had absolutely no problem counting out my change! I was almost mesmerizing watching them count it out in 5 cent, 20 cent, 50 cent , 1 lb, and 2 lb, coins!

It's a simple thing really. The US Treasury Department simply announces the phase out of paper bills to what is already In circulation and then stops ordering paper bills. It DOES NOT require an act of Congress. It DOES NOT require presidential approval via Executive Order as the laws enabling the Secretary of the Treasury to do so are already in place.

BTW, lobbyists need not focus on the public, Lobbyist need to focus on the Treasury Department to step up and cut costs where it makes the most sense. To date, the US Treasury Department, you know, the one that decided to mint a .999 fine "Gold" Kennedy Half dollar, are not doing that.

And before the whiners start tasking me with buying roll after roll of dollar coins to spend and do my part, I need to reiterate that for each coin I spend, then just 1 more coin gets sent back to the bank and then back to the Federal Reserve vaults. Its not the public that needs to respond, its the merchants.

KurtS likes this.
  8. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I can only imagine it's the public that finds dollar notes useful during tipping.

9. Pere

Pere Active Member

Then they are lousy tippers.

BigTee44 and 19Lyds like this.
  10. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

We already have a dollar coin, just no one uses it.

Only way is to get rid of the $1 paper.

11. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

Alright. I'll be devils advocate (but just this once!). I've lived in the U.S. where we have the bill and Australia where they use the coin. While having a dollar coin may make it last longer, it is a huge pain in the neck. Lets say you go shopping and you get like $3 in change. You go home and put them on your desk. Eventually you end up with a huge pile of change and to carry any decent amount of it around leaves your pockets bulging and heavy. Paper money is just so much easier to carry and deal with. I don't know what it costs to create paper money verses coins. One is likely to be cheaper but I prefer paper bills. The problem is we have both. We should just get rid of $1 coins :)

silentnviolent likes this.
  12. bdunnse

bdunnse Who dat?

Strippers are going to have to start wearing coin purses on their G-strings.

Dkillett, Paddy54 and Kirkuleez like this.
  13. Pere

Pere Active Member

You're doing it wrong. You should have only a modest handful of change in your pocket. Use these coins (dollars and others) to buy things; don't just collect it all day.

One United States dollar in 2015 is small change. We should treat it as such.

14. rooman9

rooman9 Lovin Shiny Things

I know how it's supposed to work. But that isn't how people are. In Australia go to anyone's house and they have a huge pile of change that just lies there. When I was there I would take all my coins I picked up during the week and spend it on my weekly groceries before paying with my card. Kept them from building up. But most people would just leave it there.

15. Pere

Pere Active Member

Well, if people don't know how to use coins at all, having or not having dollar coins isn't going to make the difference.

16. 19Lyds

Nah. I disagree.

If I have 5 dollar coins in my pocket (which loosely translates to 6 quarters in weight) and I don't care to have 5 dollar coins, I'll exchange them for a 5 dollar bill like most people.

If I possibly end up with more than 10 dollar coins at the end of the day, I'll be sure to spend those the next time I'm out.

Coins are no different than bills. They are interchangeable. If I have 25 one dollar bills in my pocket (BTW, I never put bills in my wallet.), I'll exchange them for a larger note of spend them.

17. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I have always carried a pocket full of change. I find it rather convenient to reach into the change pocket for a few dollar coins (to pay for something small) as opposed to pulling out my old beat up wallet........

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

OK that's 1 coin and $2 note. (If the stop the $1 note production and use of the $2 note WILL increase just like use of the dollar coin will increase. Why? Because people DO like to use the paper for the weight convenience.)

Same comment, with the $2 note now being the smallest in use people wll tip the strippers with those. And the strippers will get a raise. Some places have already figured this out and now stock twos and not ones.

I always find it odd that the anti-dollar coin people are always so concerned about how they are going to be able to tip the strippers.

Paul M. likes this.
  19. 19Lyds

As do I.

20. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I think the strippers would be happy to go from $1 to $5 tips...

21. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

All I can say is..What, AGAIN!!! Are they serious???

Draft saved Draft deleted