Livia/Justitia---Budget Style

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mikey Zee, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

I thought I'd post this prior to arranging todays holiday events....

I stumbled upon this example while browsing e-Bay and as the sellers photos indicate, it was from HHC, a reputable seller. Bronzes of this type can be a bit pricey in the more preferred grades and I had to let a few go by over the last several months---and other 'budget' varieties were far too worn and corroded for my taste(s).

I think this dupondius may be a slight 'coup' or simply worth what I paid for in the condition it is in---although, I think some gentle careful cleaning might greatly enhance the appeal and better reveal the details. I was winning this coin at less than $40.00 until literally in the last few seconds a 'snip bid' jumped it up to $81.00 shipped.

I'd appreciate any comments whether to attempt cleaning it or not and whether it appears this coin was worth the final cost. Apparently, the green splotches are NOT indicative of bronze disease, according to HHC.....

Dupondius of Livia/Justitia, under Tiberius, AD 22/23, 14.55 grams
    Diademed bust, with JVSTITIA below
    S C in center, TI CAESAR DIVI F AVG PM POT XXIIII
    RIC 46, BMC 79
    Livia-Justia bronze.jpg Livia-justia bronze reverse.jpg
    HAPPY THANGSGIVING!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
    TIF, chrsmat71, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Shes gets expensive no matter what. My little bronze here was a bit more then you paid for your big.

Im surprised yours went for that much though due to pits, but at least they're deeper on the reverse.

[​IMG]
    Livia (30 B.C. - 29 A.D)
    IONIA, Ephesos
    Grammateus Aristeas, magistrate
    Æ 16
    O: Draped bust right.
    R: EFE ARCIEREYS ASKLAS EYFRWN, Stag standing right, quiver above.
    3.8g
    16mm
    RPC 2580

4. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Wait for more experienced opinions, but I don't think that's going to clean much further. I would however keep it on BD watch for some time.

It's an interesting issue and not all that common. If I wanted one of these and had a budget under $100, I still might have passed on this one, though my wait for an acceptable piece within budget may have continued for a good long while.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  5. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Um, well...I love you Mikey, you know that, buuuut...I suppose if you absolutely MUST have a Livia then each to his own. I don't think cleaning will help - certainly not the corrosion, and I don't think it's worth the price at all, not even close. :(

TIF and Mikey Zee like this.
  6. Sallent

Sallent Live long and prosper

Livia was one cool woman in I Claudius. I know, just a show, but it made me appreciate more the real Livia.

7. Mikey Zee

Interesting comments!!

Especially since they mirror my own when i first saw this coin. I thought it might be worth about $40.00 in the condition it was in, and thought I put a max of that amount on bid----apparently I placed $80.00 since I still won it when it suddenly jumped to over $78.00

Well, I can always return it if I feel it is as poor a coin as it seems to be---especially if it does have bronze disease too.

Amazing how I can rationalize a coins condition LOL

8. John Anthony

John Anthony Ultracrepidarian

Well I do it all the time with the Arabian/Levantine stuff I collect. So I hope you don't take my comment as a negative judgment. But as far as collecting Livia goes, I believe the better strategy is to simply accept the fact that she's expensive, and cough up the dough for a problem-free coin.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  9. Mikey Zee

Not at all JA, I sometimes need a 'reality' check LOL

10. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

She is, I got mine from my favorite online dealer and it was sheer luck he had one. But she is pricey anyway you look at it. $40-$50 would have been a OK price for the OP coin, $80+ is a bit much but if you're happy with it when it arrives, then thats all that matter.

Problem free with decent portraits are about $150+ unless you find a provincial somewhere.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  11. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

My Livia from Colonia Romula:

liviaobv.jpg liviarev.jpg

It's an Augustus / Livia issue under Tiberius.

Interestingly Livia is honoured as "mother of the world" in the legend:
    IVLIA AVGVSTA GENETRIX ORBIS

Jwt708, John Anthony, TIF and 6 others like this.
  12. GregH

GregH Well-Known Member

I'm pretty sure it would sell on vcoins for that amount. Actually, I just looked. There are horrible Livia coins on vcoins going for WAY more than that!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  13. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

A bit pricey ?
    Well, probably, but what the heck ! you got a Livia middle bronze that I've been unable to purchase in 35 years of roman coins collecting. The portrait is decent (everyone here could recognize her at first glance) and 80 bucks is just what it is.
    As long as your family will not be eating potatoes for a month because of that a 2000 year old Livia dupondius vs pocket change, I would have chosen the first

In one month or so from now you will have forgotten what it set you back, but not buying it, you would have regrets for years

Q

PS : I wouldn't clean it more

Mikey Zee likes this.
  14. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

As long as you are happy with it then all is well.:)

Mikey Zee likes this.
  15. Mikey Zee

Thanks everyone for your comments. I greatly appreciate them!!!

Greg and 'Q' bring up an interesting point---and that is the relative scarcity of the coin. Although I haven't been actively searching for a Livia portrait, I can't remember the last time I saw one at any of the auctions I routinely browse through. Most that I have seen, especially when I WAS searching for one month earlier this year, were over $100.00 and of lesser or equal 'quality' to the one I posted and most that were about VF -EF were in the $200-$300+ price range.

Anyway, while I still believe the coin is about a $50.00 value for the type and grade, I'm hoping it will look better in hand than in the sellers photos---as they so often are. And, I will only boil the coin and 'clean' it with a soft rag or toothbrush and then see what I have---no picking at the coin or otherwise harshly cleaning it. I'll post a before and after if there is any significant difference.

Thanks again guys!! And I hope everyone had a terrific Thanksgiving!!!

stevex6, zumbly and Cucumbor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted