Littleton Coin Company

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Pilkenton, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Pilkenton

Pilkenton almost uncirculated

I have a couple coins that are sealed in some sort of cellophane from the Littleton Coin Company. I see them on ebay all the time. Does it make a difference if I open them or leave them sealed?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

If you're collecting them, it makes no difference. If you want to re-sell them, then leave them sealed. Littleton has notoriously high prices, but they are also conservative graders.

4. quartertapper

quartertapper Numismatist

I would leave the coins in the protective cellophane unless you plan to put them into a quality protective album (not a coin folder).

5. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Leave them packaged :)

6. Pilkenton

I've got two circulated pre-64 Roosevelt dimes and I was going to put them in a roll. I paid next to nothing for them, but wasn't sure if the Littleton name meant anything to collectors.

7. krispy

krispy krispy

Did you buy the coins from Littleton yourself? ...and pay the full retail from them as well? :yawn: LOL!

If you were ever to resell those coins to Littleton, I'd suggest you leave them in the plastic but they look pretty cheap in those cello bags. Littleton does buy collections, but are pretty picky from what I've read.

Use the CT search tool and look up Littleton to find a lot of member's thoughts and stories about them. :thumb:

8. krispy

krispy krispy

To collectors the Littleton name means overpriced coins for the grade but generally very solid grades as they claim them to be due to their rigorous self grading.

9. Pilkenton

I bought them off ebay for next to nothing. The are nothing special to look at, just your average circulated dimes.

10. boxerchip

boxerchip Runnin' Buffalo

Leave them in the wrapper unless your selling them to someone like me who wont buy anything that says littleton on it because I would be contributing to the suffering of others :p gdi I hate littleton!

11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

take them out, circs are nothing special, I presume they are Roosies.

12. Pilkenton

I've said this over and over on this forum.

I'm always reading..."Buy the coin, not the package", but what I keep reading is that the package does make a difference. Everybody's saying that Littleton is overpriced, but if I want to sell them, leave them in the package.

Sounds like there is a difference between a true coin collector and a true dealer. A collector will buy what he wants for what he's willing to pay for it. A dealer wants to get the highest price possible, and if that means leaving it in a package from an overpriced coin company, then so be it. It's all about the Benjamin's, baby.

13. borgovan

borgovan Supporter**

Ah...i didn't realize they were common circulated scrap silver dimes. Feel free to take them out. The packaging will add no value.

14. krispy

krispy krispy

It all depends on what your intentions might be, for which there can be many scenarios or factors: collect never to sell, collect to sell later, buy to flip, buy as investment, buy to slab then resell for potential profits, but to collect but forced to sell for money... I don't think it's a black and white argument about the package, especially when it comes to Littleton wrappers and coins. Maybe US Mint OGP matters to some collectors but very little care so much for Littleton save for the Littleton company themselves if they are the ones buying back the coins in their company's packaging.

15. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

I'm not getting your point.

The Littleton "package" is WAY, WAY different from a PCGS slab - which is what I think you're REALLY referring to.

I have a 1976 3-piece Bicentenniel silver set in original packaging. I would be an IDIOT to take them out of the packaging. Same would go for early proof sets, certain commomeratives, mint products, etc.

Same goes for the Littleton packaging. As Borgovan said, if they're just bullion dimes and they're graded G4 or something like that, then there's no premium.

Another example of "buy the package" would be Prestige Proof sets.

There isn't a "one simple solution" for every situation.

16. clembo

clembo A closed mind is no mind

I've cut hundreds of Littleton coins out of their varuos holders at the shop including some pretty nice silver eagle holders. Bottom line is they fit better in tubes

Now if someone told us they paid a premium for silver eagles in Littleton holders I wouldn't do it. No one has though.

17. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

Littleton is the one company that most will agree grades well.

18. Pilkenton

I've got plenty of coins sealed from the mint. I agree, I wouldn't open them. But Littleton is a coin store. People here say they're high priced, but their grades are accurate. So if I bought a coin directly from them, I got a decently graded coin, but was a sucker because I paid too much for it. Why would you want to keep them sealed unless you were trying to make a little more by selling the wrapper it came in.

I'm talking about Littleton here, nothing else.

19. krispy

krispy krispy

Because those who know Littleton would be able to agree with you on the grade they gave it, but you still wouldn't be able to sell it for a profit (most likely, and for way too many years than you'd care to figure out) because you overpaid for it in the first place. nothing more. nothing more than being able to agree upon a grade.

20. Pocket Change

Pocket Change Coin Collector

Ok, we're dancing around the issue here.

A littleton wrapper like you're describing is almost like a PCSG/NGC/ANACS slab grade.

They ARE respected for their grading.

If it's for a pricey coin, would you break it out of a PCGS slab? Same applies for the Littleton packaging.

For low priced coins, it doesn't mean much - but it does prove they're "real" - and not from China. I'd leave them in the packaging if you want to sell and put them in the album and rest assured that they're the real deal if you're just "collecting".

21. krispy

krispy krispy

Now that's a stretch of belief or faith! If the counterfeiters can fake coins and slabs well enough to fool professional coin dealers and astute collectors they can surely fake a cello wrapper or whatever other device Littleton has used or is currently using. This would even put into doubt authenticity of the 'Littleton grade' being in indisputable.

Draft saved Draft deleted