Littleton coin company and grading

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by flyers10, May 11, 2015.

1. flyers10

flyers10 Collector of US Coinage

I recently won a couple auctions on Ebay for coins that were sold from Littleton. A couple older silver commemoratives both graded MS-60 UNC and some buffalo nickels graded between MS63 and MS64. We pretty much all know that buying direct from Littleton the prices are very high but I have heard the coin grading is very conservative. I sent off a few of these coins to see how they actually grade out from what they had on the holders. The commemoratives seem to be a generic MS60 UNC grade even though they look to be at least MS63 and the Buffalo Nickels grades I think will do better than what is on the holder. I should find out in a few weeks the grades and how they compare.
    Anyone have any experience submitting coins from Littleton and how the grades compared to what they said?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I'm not much of a submitter Craig, but I'd be interested in seeing the outcome of your submission. :)

4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

From my experience years ago with Littleton, I'd say you hit it on the head---very expensive relative to the rest of the market but conservatively graded.

I haven't submitted any for grading, but I think you will do well...

bsshog40 and flyers10 like this.
  5. flyers10

You got it Ken. Good or bad I will post the grades when I get them.

2schnauzers2luv and green18 like this.
  6. flyers10

Thanks Mikey.

Mikey Zee likes this.
  7. Peter T Davis

Peter T Davis Hammer at the Ready Moderator

Looking forward to hearing your results!

8. flyers10

Thanks Peter.

9. gronnh20

gronnh20 Well-Known Member

I have bought coins from Littleton within the last 6 months. I was looking for some nickels and was shopping around and they were cheapest for what I was looking for. The nickels were very nice coins. They weren't cheap on the other stuff I was looking for. But, those nickels for that one day were the cheapest and I got nice coins to boot. I also agree they are conservative when it comes to grading their coins. You should fair well.

flyers10 likes this.
  10. Doug Wheeler

Doug Wheeler New Member

For the most part, Littleton seems to lump their coins into very few grading "buckets" including:
    • Average Circulated (AC)
    • Fine (12)
    • Very Fine (20)
    • Extra Fine (40)
    • About Unc (50)
    • Uncirculated (60)
    • Ch Proof-63 (71)
    The values in parentheses are included at the end of their item numbers, and for the most part, seem indicate the equivalent (minimum?) numbered grade. The only time they use more precise grades are on expensive coins or third-party graded coins.

I suspect they grade this way to keep their costs down since they deal with huge numbers of coins and they can't afford to give detailed grades for coins that may only sell for a few dollars.

flyers10 likes this.
  11. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

When I dealt with them back in the early days of my collecting I found them to be very conservative on grading WHEN THEY WERE BUYING, but typically loose with their grading when selling. Most everything they sent was at least one grade overgraded and often cleaned. (One cavet, I dealt with them mainly with foreign coins. On those I could often get pieces they undergraded, but with the US material it was almost always overgraded.)

12. flyers10

Thanks for the info. I suspect these coins were bought years ago. Example is a 1917 Buffalo Nickel they have graded at MS63 for $125 which looking at price guides which is right around what they go for present day and they usually charge 2-3 times more. I should have the grades in a few weeks and will see how they compare to what they had on the label.

13. flyers10

Got the grade results back from PCGS today. Couldn't be happier.
    1925 50C Stone Mountain on Littleton label MS-60 Unc PCGS MS64
    1925 50C Lexington on Littleton label MS60, UNC PCGS MS64
    1917 Buffalo Nickel on Littleton label MS63 PCGS MS65
    1926 Buffalo Nickel on Littleton label MS63 PCGS MS65
    1935 Buffalo Nickel on Littleton label MS64 PCGS MS66
    1937-D Buffalo Nickel on Littleton label MS64 PCGS MS65
    1938-D Buffalo Nickel on Littleon label MS64 PCGS 1938 D/D which i didn't notice MS66

Quite the score for what I paid for the coins.

14. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

Congratulations!!! I had a good feeling you would do well from what I experienced years ago with Littleton and their apparent 'conservative grading'.

flyers10 likes this.
  15. flyers10

You nailed it Mikey. Thank you much!

Mikey Zee likes this.
  16. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Marvelous coup Craig.......:)

flyers10 likes this.
  17. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

Very nice! Didn't know about Littleton grading conservately, good to know.

flyers10 likes this.
  18. jessvc

jessvc Active Member

I know this is an old thread I just came across it and seems way too good to be true Ive bought some littleton coins in the past and they where all problem coins. This guy sent in coins he said he won in auctions on the 11th then ten days later he knows the grades (all PCGS which take a long time to get back)and they all straight grade and are gem plus. Not believable at all

19. Mark1971

Mark1971 Active Member

Aside from his use of ‘recently’, the post does not specify the actual date he won them or the date he sent them in.

ldhair, green18 and -jeffB like this.
  20. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Coming back after an eight-year absence to throw shade on a post from seven years ago?

It's going to take you a good while to catch up on seven years of posts. ;)

21. Vertigo

Vertigo Did someone say bust?

Same!

Draft saved Draft deleted