Little help needed

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Mainebill, Feb 5, 2016.

1. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I'm a us coin dealer / collector. I bought a complete coin collection today and these 2 were in it. First is Cuban second is from peru both silver any info as to rarity grade value etc appreciated image.jpeg image.jpeg This one reminds me a lot of an early draped bust type us silver dollar Or a Spanish pillar dollar. has a lettered edge and is similar in size. image.jpeg image.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jj00

jj00 Well-Known Member

Cuba 1915 40 Centavos 10.0g/ 0.900 silver (0.2893oz ASW) mintage 2,633,000
    There are high(km#14)/low(km#14.3)/medium(km#14.2) relief star reverses that affect $; not sure which your's is.

Peru 1838 - South Peru 8 Reales 27.070g/ 0.9030 silver (0.7859oz ASW) mintage not listed. I believe it's MS (assayer's initials, not grade;)).
    https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...reales-km-1704-1837-1839-cuid-2278-duid-11115

Can't really make out the grades well enough from the photos to help with that, sorry.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2016
    Mainebill likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Cuba 1915 40 Centavos
    KM#14 high relief F-$10.00 VF-$12.00 XF-$20.00
    KM#14.2 medium relief F-$30.00 VF-$100.00 XF-$275.00
    KM#14.3 low relief F-$10.00 VF-$15.00 XF-$30.00
    not sure what relief your coin is ? I would guess your coins grade looks VF-XF.
    a Cuban coin that will retain it's value since you can not buy Cuban coins on Ebay or sell them. I do see Cuban coins sold on Ebay labeled something totally different.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2016
  5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

No real help here on rarity or value, but I have to say I like that 40 centavos. Pre-revolution Cuban coins are decent looking and will probably appreciate in value due to better relations with Cuba. (As might post-revolution coins, but those are technically illegal to own.)

6. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Peru 1838 South Peru 8 reales
    KM#170.4 1838 CUZCO MS
    VG-$20.00 F-$45.00 VF-$75.00 XF-$125.00
    not sure what your coins grade is ? VF-XF ?
    a very cool coin.
    not knowing what the mintage has me curious as to the rarity ???
    I would like to see better pics in focus of both of these coins.

7. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

The Cuban coin is the low relief star variety. It's relatively common especially in circulated grades. Looks about VF. Worth $15-$20.

The South Peru piece is a beauty, I'd grade it a solid EF though pics are a little blurry. The Krause and NGC prices are too low actually, your coin (assuming no issues) is in the $250 range. Drop me a PM if you are looking to find it a good home :)

spirityoda likes this.
  8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

9. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

spirityoda likes this.
  10. Mainebill

I was going to give the both a soak in acetone as there's some crud that should come off easily especially on the Peruvian one. I'm out of town for a couple weeks but I can try to take a bit better pics when I get back. Thanks for all the info

11. Mainebill

I think the coin is similar in conditions there's just some crud that should melt in acetone especially on the reverse side. Don't worry I've soaked hundreds of coins in acetone. Nearly all of this collection needs a bath cause there's God knows what kind of slime all over them. I'm good at grading us coins but I'd guess this one around vf -35- xf 40

12. Kapimono

Kapimono Active Member

I like Numista.com when it comes to foreign coins. Gives you all the details as well as general relativity on a scale of 1(common) to 100(ultra rare). Really easy to find almost any coin. :)

Draft saved Draft deleted