List of Wide and Close AM Varieties

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by lupinus911, Mar 16, 2012.

1. Doenut

Doenut New Member

the FG on the steps right side of coin are off the steps when its a close AM usally when there in the steps its not

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Spizzwhizz

Spizzwhizz New Member

I just recently found a 1978 D close AM coin has anyone ever heard of such a thang??

4. Spizzwhizz

Spizzwhizz New Member

5. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

It is unlikely, since all cents until 1992 were made with a Wide AM.
    If a reverse die was used in 1978 that had a Close AM (nope), hundreds of thousands of coins would have been produced with this variety, and someone
    would have noticed it in the last 42 years. You'll have to provide a clear photo,
    perhaps the coin took a hit and the letters got pinched closer together.
    If your coin shows any damage at all, that's not going to help the situation.

Last edited: Jan 8, 2020
  6. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

Didn't happen!

7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

First, welcome to the neighborhood!

If you're planning on looking for rare coins to sell for more than their face value, you'd better start building a reference library for all of the errors and varieties. It is quite extensive, but it does not include BoobTube. You can start by saving this to your Favorites:

http://www.lincolncentresource.com/wideams.html

~ Chris

Cheech9712 and enamel7 like this.
  8. KEN POTTER

KEN POTTER New Member

If you had looked a little further than the pictures you would have noticed that there was a disclaimer in the book on the 1996 Wide AM alteration (the only entry in the book that need one). By the time the book went into the second printing (for the same edition) it was removed and stayed removed in all printings for all editions thereafter. It is a very wise decision to add something into a book with a disclaimer in the event that it was genuine.

You may have also noticed that I was the one that first debunked the coin.

As for the title of our book, if you ever write one yourself and have it published by a large publisher like Krause or Whitman, you'll learn that the authors often have little say in what the title is (as is also the case in choosing a title to an article in larger publications - that's Journalism 101).

Publishers invest a lot of money into publishing a book so they pick titles that they feel will sell the book best. Our title (as the book was delivered to Krause) was "Treasures In Your Pocket Change". They changed it to "Strike It Rich With Pocket Change" without asking, feeling it would catch the eye of potential buyers better than our own title.

I hated the title they chose for several years but in retrospect I think they were right. After all, anybody with a half a brain knows most folks will never actually "strike it rich". But we have had two folks so far find coins in the $15,000+ range within weeks of buying the book.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2020
    Hunting Rare likes this.
  9. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

Why do you think they were right?
    That is not striking it rich in my book.

enamel7 likes this.
  10. lincolnjoe

lincolnjoe New Member

keep looking everyone there out there just waiting to be found, happy hunting:woot:

11. They made copper and zinc plated in 1982 the only way your 1982D copper plated coin would be worth anything is if it was a small date variety bc there is 1 or 2 known

Cheech9712 likes this.
  12. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You are so right sis

13. Makin_Cents

Makin_Cents New Member

I have a 95...A looks about as close as it can get to the M.....any thoughts on value for this??

Attached Files:

14. enamel7

enamel7 Junior Member

You have to understand, the gap between the letters will all be the same. Your 1995 is not touching because the die was probably polished creating the small gap. There are no 1995 business strike wide AM cents. It's worth one cent.

Makin_Cents likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted