List of Wide and Close AM Varieties

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by lupinus911, Mar 16, 2012.

1. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

Hi, I was wondering if someone could compile a list not just for me, but for other penny searchers as well. I have a huge pile of zincs but I still want to go through them for the slight chance of there being one. What I have so far is:

1992 - Philly and Denver
    1998/1999 - San Francisco (unlikely I'll come across these)
    1998/1999/2000 - Philly

On another note, any common double dies in the 83-present range?

Tammy Gatlin likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lupinus911

lupinus911 Member

Edited for Memorial Cents only:
    1960 small date/large date/large over small
    1960D small date/large date/D over D, small over large
    1969S Dbl Die Obv
    1970S small date (High 7)/large date (Low 7)/Dbl Die Obv
    1971S Dbl Die Obv
    1972 Dbl Die Obv
    1979S Filled S/Clear S
    1981S Filled S/Clear S
    1983 Dbl Die Rev
    1992 Close AM
    1992D Close AM
    1995 Dbl Die Obv
    1996 Wide AM
    1996D Wide AM
    1998 Wide AM
    1999 Wide AM
    2000 Wide AM

4. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

And thousands of other varieties......

DarkRage666 likes this.
  5. terry ball

terry ball New Member

hi i have a 1996D penny&a close am BUT THE M&E ARE WIDE whats it worth? thanks TB

6. BooksB4Coins

If I recall correctly, the story was something along the lines of a 1996 wide AM was supposedly found and then lost, so no proof remains and no others have been found. Ken Potter also included it his laughably and deceptively titled "strike it rich" book, which was a highly questionable move (for the above reason) IMO.

As for your coin, Terry; posting a clear photo may be helpful, but I wouldn't suggest getting my hopes up. Chances are great that it is nothing special. Welcome to the forum.

7. Snowman

Snowman Senior Member

8. Kristine

Kristine Member

I think I found a wide AM 1998 - I put it on ebay :)

Attached Files:

9. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

1982 small date zinc, 1982 small date copper.
    1982-D small date zinc.
    (1982-D small date copper INCREDIBLY RARE)
    1983 COPPER 3.1 grams, super rare.

Kristine likes this.
  10. Lisaj

Lisaj New Member

I found a 1972 close AM penny. Is it worth anything?

11. BooksB4Coins

To the best of my knowledge, all cents of this date display the same in this respect. The wide/close AM thing pertains only to 1992, and 1998-2000 (business strike) cents (there were rumors of a 1996 as well, but the story is a tad too convenient for my liking). There's also a proof displaying the wrong reverse, but the date/dates escapes me at the moment.

Welcome to the forum, Lisa. Even if this coin wasn't what you had hoped, perhaps the next one will be.

12. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

CHARLES ROSENBAUM likes this.
  13. BooksB4Coins

14. Chewmassa

I've seen those, but I just use the NGC list of varieties they certify when CRH because they are the ones that are noticable enough for me to find them either with the naked eye or just a quick glace through the loupe. I'm afraid if I go TOO far down the rabbit hole it may double or even triple the time I spend scrutinizing coins to no avail. Thats why I stick to that basic list. Of course if others want to go much deeper than I do I wish them the best of luck and hopefully they'll find something I've overlooked :p

15. BooksB4Coins

Fair enough, and thanks for the response. For what it's worth, a great majority of their listings just happen to have FS numbers, meaning the cherrypickers guides may be helpful as well. On the other hand, this list (and others) also helps to make the guides unnecessary since one can fairly easily obtain the attribution numbers without having to buy them. :)

16. Chewmassa

Yeah I don't have a cherrypicker's guide or redbook or anything cause I'm cheap lol. I just use the internet to do my research and jot down a few notes in my notebook. I bought a loupe and some cardboard holders and don't plan on spending anything else on this hobby beyond buying coins at face value or very slightly above for wheats and maybe getting some of them slabbed if I ever find enough valuable coins to feel it's worth it try reselling. Of course if someone gave me one of the books as a gift or I found one on the cheap at a yardsale I'd probably make use of it.

17. binzo84

binzo84 New Member

I think I just found a '92 CAM....
    It's pristine too.......has a reddish tint to it

18. binzo84

binzo84 New Member

This is it

Attached Files:

19. Jayme

Jayme New Member

I have 10 1992 w/ separate A M'S does anybody know what they're worth

20. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Hi Jayme. Read the list again more closely... 1992 was a year to look for Close AMs, not Wide AMs.

Brina likes this.
  21. Duane Lee

Duane Lee New Member

Draft saved Draft deleted