List Of Sellers Of Fake Toned Coins On eBay

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chris Winkler, Jul 31, 2020.

1. Chris Winkler

Chris Winkler Well-Known Member

As a public service, I am starting this thread in order to help anyone tempted to buy some toned coins. I think naturally toned coins are so beautiful, but manually toned coins are like collecting fake $20 bills.

Please post here your sellers of fake toned coins on eBay. Here is one I outed today. Had a nice looking penny, only one side toned, then i see they have many. Says they are toned, but not artificially.

Its just impossible to have many toned coins with same colors that are not manually toned. Before you buy a toned coin, check their other auctions to see if that is the bulk of what they sell, or cleaned coins if you don't want them either.

beachegrl1

s-l500.jpg

Last edited: Jul 31, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris Winkler

4. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

@Lehigh96 has posted informative posts concerning toning here in the past, along with others. I am sure he would remember the other good toned experts who also posted about them that people could also look at old posts and read.

Knowledge is always your best line of defense in collectibles.

Chris Winkler likes this.
  5. Chris Winkler

6. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

I bought this one from Beachegrl1. I too thought they must have been artificially toned. But I didn't try to call her out. Just took it on the chin. Thanks to CT, I'm learning.
    Screenshot_20200731-103119.png Screenshot_20200731-103219.png

Chris Winkler likes this.
  7. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Back in the early '60s, when my Father introduced me to numismatics, toned coins were considered "damaged" coins (at least to my Father). Dad said the goal was to collect coins in conditions as close as possible to when they dropped from the dies. Dad would keep his coins wrapped in thin sheets of aluminum foil. It protected the coins and he always knew when I had sneaked a peak (Ouch!).

I appreciate the beauty of toned coins (natural or otherwise), but avoid them like the plague...natural or otherwise.

medoraman likes this.
  8. medoraman

I agree all were baked. Coins CANNOT tone that way. Others here can explain it better than I can, I just know this is impossible.

9. medoraman

Your father was following conventional wisdom. Part of that wisdom was because for years nefarious sellers would AT tone problem coins to hide the damage. This is why all toned coins were immediately suspect. An old dealer around since the 40's showed me how the AT was done. It produces a very convincing AT, (way better than what is pictured here), if there was still luster left. No, I do not discuss in public how its done. :)

yakpoo likes this.
  10. yakpoo

yakpoo Member

Dad's argument was simple...deterioration of the metal (attractive or otherwise) is PMD.

Draft saved Draft deleted