Lincoln wheat discoloration.

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Comfortably Numb, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Active Member

Hello just curious is this discoloration normal and if so what is it possibly from? Thanks for looking! IMG_2411.JPG IMG_2412.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

Looks like someone tried to clean it. JMO

4. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

White is rare but it is a possible color on copper.

5. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I find when I am looking at BU cents there can be a lot of Discolorations on them.
    Some of those "spots" can be caused by grease or other debris on the dies.
    A bit of grease or debris on the die will change the texture of the copper surface which can change the way the metal will tone with time. I also suspect that it is possible to have some residual liquid on the planchets after they have been tumbled clean. There is a few different speculations for what is the cause of toning on the surface of metals, and until someone does a intensive microscopic investigation it will remain just speculation. JMO

6. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Looks normal. Often something on the surface causes the coin to discolor (tone) in different colors.

7. Bill in Burl

Bill in Burl Collector

The Rev seems to be contamination from handling or in pockets. Abe looks like he had a piece of Scotch tape on him.

8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

At some point something came in contact with the surface of this coin. You are seeing the results. I would be more concerned about that red looking, backwards check mark by Lincoln’s nose.

9. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Could it be because bronze is made of 95% copper and 5% tin and zinc. Maybe this coin got more than its share of the tin and zinc.

10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah. And we're not detectives, we just collect them. :)

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Nickel and zinc can react with copper to make a whitish copper ( cupronickel). If done in a melt, it would likely stay in depth. If five cent pieces rub against cents, in pockets, bags, etc., it could occur. Since I retired I do not have access to the
    necessary equipment to verify. It would be interesting to see a TPG verifying or not.

Jim

12. Comfortably Numb

Comfortably Numb Active Member

Thanks everyone for your responses and yes, that red check looking mark is strange also but I think it's PMD. I just haven't seen that silver looking area on any other coins except maybe on one side like and end coin on a roll.

13. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I’ve seen this sort of toning on other later-date BU Wheat cents. I’m not sure what causes it but don’t find it objectionable. In some cases, it can even look nice, when there’s a touch of iridescence to it.

Draft saved Draft deleted