Lincoln Penny collection 1909 to 1940

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Chance, Aug 31, 2011.

1. Melonsmash3r

Melonsmash3r Coin Hoarder

Price

Hi Chance the whole entire book is ruffly worth around $1,700 but you could get more. A good place to sell it would be ebay or craigslist. If you want to sell it fast go to a coin dealer and they can buy it.:yes:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

First off, your 22 is a 22-D. It is the 22- that is worth so much. Your 22-D might even make XF, (likely VF-35), but is only worth about $25.
    Your 14-D looks like it might make VG, but it is corroded. A net grade of AG is probably more accurate. $150 maybe.
    Your 31-S looks to be AU, but condition is not that critical here. About $110.

The one you are missing is the 09-S (no VDB). That is going to be about $150 if it is really VF.

By the time you are done with it all, you would probably be just as well off to sell it to a local dealer if he is honest. The only thing that might be better would be a coin show where you can, in essence, take bids. My guess is that you should expect about 3/4 of these prices or in that territory. Unless you have a lot of feedback, I would stay off eBay.

4. Chance

Chance New Member

rlm's cents, what would your over all price be?

5. Chance

Chance New Member

sure would like to here from more people.

6. GJ1103

GJ1103 coin addicted Navy man

You have got the most knowledgeable people answering you already. :yes:

7. ratio411

ratio411 Active Member

My .02 is that most of your 'money' coins are 'details' coins, meaning they have details in a decent grade range, but the damage to them cuts their value severely. Not knocking your coins, just that maybe you shouldn't get high hopes looking at catalog values and such, which are for coins without 'problems'.

Good luck!

8. iGradeMS70

iGradeMS70 AKA BustHalfBrian

The collection is worth a pretty penny- Lets leave it at that for now. Honestly, I believe we all agree that we'd need to see the collection in-hand to be able to label it with an accurate price. That, or we'd need proper photos of each and every coin. I recommend you have it appraised by a local coin dealer.

-Brian

9. Chance

Chance New Member

thank for all reply.

10. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

My math says that is about $1500, but that is with a whole bunch of it sight unseen. Remember, that is dealer selling price, not what you will get from them.

11. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title]

I think the OP needs to understand something too. Both key coins I have seen (1909-S VDB and 1914-D) have significant problems (especially the 14-D). I think a dealer would really cut down their buy price because of that.

12. Merc Crazy

Merc Crazy Bumbling numismatic fool

I think if you walked into a dealer and said "Buy this," you'd get an offer of $950 or so.

Draft saved Draft deleted