Lincoln Pennies

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Todd Williams, Oct 27, 2020.

1. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

The whole set I would say around $1300-$1600 if the vdb looks that nice and not cleaned but i.d.k what a dealer would want for it and the actual approximate price value

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Todd Williams

Todd Williams Making Grandad proud

OK. "Took" would have been an understatement then. *whew*

Trish, Bayern and RonSanderson like this.
  4. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

I find it odd that the pages are missing quite a few relatively common coins, BUT it does include the key!

5. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

The photo isn't close enough to evaluate the authenticity. If in fact that is a genuine 09-S, VDB you would do yourself a favor to have that coin authenticated by a third party grader such as PCGS or NGC. If that coin is genuine and is in the condition that it appears to be in, you have some real money there. Do not sell that for $350.00.

6. Todd Williams

Thanks. Great advice.

I kid you not, the guy looped that coin in the book this morning, put the book down on the counter, and said $70 and picked up the next book. I said, "you mean that VDB is only $70?" "Oh, I didn't see that." (Even though it clearly reads 1909 S-VDB in the book). Picked it up again, looped it again, and said "$350".

My blood ran cold, picked up everything, and left. Glad the only thing I sold him was the bulk silver...but figured he raped me on that. *eyeroll*

There's some other books (Mercury Dimes, and a US Type Book) that I'll post too. My grandad was a great man and character. So it's fun to share his passion at least a bit even if I don't understand it all.

7. Randy Abercrombie

I just did a quick scan of your photo's because I am at work. It appears your grandad had a sharp eye for fine coins. Yes please do yourself the favor of posting here before you head down to the coin shop. I am a businessman and fully understand that a business needs to make money. Sadly though it appears you were almost taken advantage of and I hate to see that in our hobby.

Bayern and Peter Economakis like this.
  8. Randy Abercrombie

One more bit of info. Try not to handle that coin. What appears to be nothing to you may be a huge value killer to an educated numismatist.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Todd Williams likes this.
  9. John Burgess

John Burgess Well-Known Member

Agree with Randy on this, send it for grading, no matter what it's worth the cost because the value is there unless it's fake, and you'll get your money back for the grading cost as well as lock in a reasonable price for it when you do sell it.
    If legit, not a problem "details" graded coin, sell it on Heritage or one of the other auction house sites and get your top dollar and let the buyer pay their fees. even if it's a "details" problem coin, as long as it's genuine, it's worth going the extra mile for top dollar with Great Collection, Heritage or any one of the other auction houses, and tell that dealer to pound sand.

But,
    I'm struggling with the pictures, it appears to be obverse #4, but the angle is off so it doesn't look like it lines up how #4 should. it's likely the angle, but...
    And I can't make out the VDB from the angle and the distance, things look in the right place, but I'd like to really see the V and the B up close. check on font and spacing.

maybe someone else can see it better than me or work with the images. It looks legit to me based on the S location, but it's one of those coins that faked so much that like all of the genuine ones, even problem coins, are graded and slabbed at this point because of the values of them, and all ungraded examples should be highly suspected, since there's a whole lot of fakes and some are really good copies.

I agree, should send it for grading, PCGS or NGC, it's looks nice and if it pans out genuine, the grading will help you sell it easy. people are scary with ungraded examples, the slab adds a ton of confidence to buyers.

10. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

For those who don't go to links:
    IMG_2966.jpg
    IMG_2967.jpg
    IMG_2971.jpg

Get that graded!

11. manny9655

manny9655 Well-Known Member

I'd go to a different coin shop.

12. AmishJedi

AmishJedi Well-Known Member

Agree with PD1878 - the '09 VDB looks cleaned, and so does the 1924-D & S, in my opinion. I recently paid $935 for a similar-looking '09 VDB that was graded as "questionable color" - meaning it was more than likely cleaned/dipped.

13. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

You are getting some sound advice from these posters. My advice would be to use some of the money you rec'd from the junk silver and have your key date coins certified. That will give you the knowledge and k is what you have. The other thing would be to consider learning more about his collection before you sell anything else. I am envious of your situation and wish you well. I don't want you to got taken to the cleaners. Good luck.

14. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Whatever you do it will take some time. Don't be in a rush, that is part of the dealer lowball game. You wont get retail, but you should get greysheet bid.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2020
    Peter Economakis likes this.
  15. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

These photos are kind of small, but I think they're more than enough to go with "not the least bit fair".

16. White Ger. Shep. Lover

White Ger. Shep. Lover Well-Known Member

Even with the cleaned coins, from what I see, you most likely have more than 5x worth of coins than what that villainous coin shop owner offered you. With that being said, some additional good pics would help in making a more accurate assessment. Would like to see the reverse on that 11-D , 11-S and once cleaned, but intriguing 24-D. It chaps my arse seeing what that clown offered you. I don't mind seeing these guys make some cash, but when they obviously attempt to fleece or unduly take advantage of a novice, it kind of gets your blood boiling......I'll give you $425 for the entire lot.

Peter Economakis likes this.
  17. CoinCorgi

CoinCorgi Tell your dog I said hi!

18. Todd Williams

Due to the missing coins in this book, I'm

19. Peter Economakis

Peter Economakis Well-Known Member

Wow your 11s and 24D look really nice, and like others said your Grandpops started filling the album with beautys..

I hope you didn't take offense with my comment about albums not being worth what we put into them. I personally pretty much rushed to fill mine and paid higher prices for each coin instead of bidding and searching for better deals.
    I would love to see you finish that albums if you can afford it just because your Grandpa took the time to put some beauty's in it..

I wan't to ask you so bad for that coin shop name so I can give him a call:mad:

Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
  20. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Be safe and not sorry. You came to the right place for truly good advice. Good luck!

21. whopper64

whopper64 Well-Known Member

The dealer, if the 1909 S VDB is genuine is taking you to the cleaners. We need more closer, focused pictures of that coin to try to determine if it's genuine.

Draft saved Draft deleted