Lincoln Mint Set History of the Civil War

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by NewCollectorRick, Aug 27, 2017.

1. NewCollectorRick

NewCollectorRick Active Member

0826172335_HDR.jpg 0826172335b_HDR.jpg 0826172335b_HDR.jpg I have a friend that would like to trade this set for some work I'm doing. Can anyone tell me what a fair ball park would be for both of us. The set has a card with info for each coin as well.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

There is one on ebay currently for 1295 OBO, so you might watch and see the interest there. I personally would not be interested in it , even if a limited production as it was not government issued medal. But collecting interests vary a lot. Jim

4. NewCollectorRick

I figured with them being .999 silver I could do as trade but only at bullion price since they are not as desirable as a book full of Morgans or something. I was thinking 5 of 600.
    On another note. I posted a 1984 D nickel and many different responses as to what the errors are caused by. Machine doubling seems to be the consensus but curious what you think of it ?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Even if they are .999 silver, I certainly wouldn't pay $1,295 for them or anywhere close to that. I assume there are only ten medals, and you didn't indicate their size, so I'm guessing that each is somewhere between a silver dollar and a half dollar. Based on that, they're worth about $150-200 max.

Chris

6. NewCollectorRick

There are 40 medals and they are all half dollar size. All come with its own card explaining all the details of each battles.

7. cpm9ball

Okay! So, they're probably worth about $350 max.

Chris

Stevearino likes this.
  8. NewCollectorRick

Thats if they were to be melted?
    To a collector they would be worth more or is this set not very desirable to many? They are near looking coins with lots of detail. Did not think they were silver because the color but I guess it's toning?

9. cpm9ball

You said in a previous post that they were .999 silver. Isn't that documented somewhere in the album or was that just an assumption?

Granted, you might find someone who would be willing to pay more, but how long would you have to list them before that person came along?

Chris

10. NewCollectorRick

Yeah exactly. They are documented as being so. My friend has them onnl eBay now for $999 and only 1 watcher and 2 days left of 7. I told him a lot of the big collectors surf eBay looking to pick something good and if only 1 watcher the price is way to high or they just aren't something people are standing in line to get.
    Well its looking like it's going to be down to firearms. Unless he drops to $400 or less.
    Thanks a lot for the help

11. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's from the Franklin Mint. Do the math.

Stevearino likes this.
  12. NewCollectorRick

I'm new to all or this. What exactly does that mean?

13. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Personally i would try to locate a set of these that have sole decently in an auction around the world, That will give you and idea of the buying price of today for this set..... if you cant locate that information, i would suggest you allow $200.00 for the set of coins and the rest in cash.... As kids of today have not got the intrest we all had in numismatics of past years, i can only see the metal value being the price in the future.... However you could copy these pictures and ask a dealer in germany across an email on how much he would pay...Tell him they are all in VF condition as that will be playing it safe for you...i cann see some have been cleaned but i am sure he will notice that...good luck..However personally, unless i could flick them off imediatelt, i would not buy them due to some been cleaned...OIO

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  14. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

It isn't a US mint issue. Unlike mint and proof sets, there is a limited collector base and it is hard to find somebody who wants it bad enough to pay a premium. There just isn't much of a demand for Private Mint stuff

Nothing wrong with the set, assuming you like it, but just remember that you may have trouble getting more than melt value when you try to sell it in the future. Personally, I like this set, but wouldn't pay a premium for it.

BTW: Make sure you check the info with the set to confirm if it's .999 or Sterling and the weight of the each medal.

Stevearino likes this.
  15. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Approach a dealer in gemany and get their ballpark price... However be prepared for them to say they have to see it in person to give an exact figure.... Imagine you were buying a car...Would you pay for it without a rest drive or opening the hood to see if the engine was still there???..Then if they dont want the collection, either place them on ebay or melt the silver.

16. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

I suggest you weigh them all, then add up the total weight and multiply it by
    Silver ce Per Ounce at $17.06 That is the price today of silver. Then take the total weight x 85% and that will be what a dealer may pay as the dealer has to earn something ( meaning the odd 15% ) Then multiply it the total at the 85% x the silvers purity and that may be close to your price you will receive...Failing that, just open a shop and try to sell it for retail..

NewCollectorRick likes this.
  17. NewCollectorRick

Thank you. That was all very helpful. I did not notice cleaning

18. NewCollectorRick

The guy is a good friend and his grandfather handed them down but he has no interest in them so he said he rather they go to me or someone who would appreciate the coin not the metal. I was a history major and went to school in Gettysburg so I do have some interest in them. Just didn't know how much to knock off his bill for them. Ill do the melt value x85% might be fair for both sides

19. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Battle of fredericksburg , battle of shiloh and the great locomotive chase looks like they are cupro nickel going from the color of the metal on the picrures. Morgan raids kentucky, Barbara Fritchie, Bull run , Chickamauga , Anrietam Troops have been heavily and badly cleaned....It is very noticible as the dirt is still inside the lettering and on the Fritchie, bull Run and kentucky , dirt can easily be located on the outside rim of the diagrams such as faces, beards, horses mains etc.... You would have been better to leave it in its natural state as the first rile regarding the cleaning of coins is dont ,,I have even scanned it for you from the book and will place it in here for your perusal....Have a lovely day Cleaning Coins.jpg

20. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

just remember you will get nothing for the cupro nickel

21. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

There are no hard and fast answers for your situation. As long as you have a good idea about the demand for these items and the ease/difficulty in reselling at some point in the future (which seems to have been well covered here), you should do OK.

Factor in Friendship, your interest in the material, type of work your doing, etc and you may end up +/- some of the suggested values

furham and NewCollectorRick like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted