Lincoln Memorial (Have Not Seen Anything Like It)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by DTCoins14, Jun 25, 2018.

1. DTCoins14

DTCoins14 Member

Hi Guys and Gals, I was just wondering if anyone could shed some light onto what I have here. I found it in my change last week. The reverse appears like a normal memorial penny should; however, the obverse is blank and rather shiny. I did not know if this may be a legit error or was the result of some kind of home experiment (possibly coming from a magic shop or once was a part of jewelry?) I have no idea. I do not have high hopes that this specimen is something special or rare. Just drives me crazy not knowing. Thanks. Memorial Obverse.jpg Memorial Reverse.jpg

Randy Abercrombie and alurid like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. MatrixMP-9

MatrixMP-9 Well-Known Member

Does it look like someone polished or ground Lincoln off? Someone got mad and just took Lincoln out? Kidding. The color looks like the zinc underneath like it was sanded off or something but I dont know squat.

spirityoda likes this.
  4. ACE Mike

ACE Mike Internet Dealer

Congrats on knowing that you have not just found your retirement funding! Safe bet the obverse (front side) was ground off for reasons unknown. Maybe somebody wanted to see if there really is zinc inside?!?

Welcome to the forum.

5. DTCoins14

DTCoins14 Member

Thanks for responding. It could have been polished I have no idea. The rim is copper plated, and the edge next to where the copper is missing is not sharp. The surface is mirror-like and smooth. I was also questioning whether it was zinc or not. Correct me if I am wrong, I have not had college chem in 3 years, but I was thinking that zinc corrodes rather fast and this shows no corrosion.

6. DTCoins14

DTCoins14 Member

7. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Welcome to CT!

I agree. Somebody, for some unknown reason, ground off the obverse.

8. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I believe it's damage but I don't understand how it was done. It still has part of the rim showing. That's not normal for a cent that is just ground off.

alurid likes this.
  9. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

Like to share a Lincoln story ? Allegedly, shortly before his assassination, Lincoln had a dream. He was at a funeral, and asked one of the mourners who was in the coffin. "It's the American President !"

DTCoins14 and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  10. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I have seen a number of cents with one side smoothed. First time I have seen one smoothed yet still had the rim. Certainly not an impossible feat but does lead one to wonder a bit. I wonder if @Fred Weinberg might be so kind as to offer his assessment?

11. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

Im going out on the limb here I don't beleive it's been sanded IMO if you look closely at the bottom of the coin it appears the line's that run through go over the edge of the cent.

They are raised but I been wrong before so lets see what others have to say.
    Dave
    @paddyman98. @Fred Weinberg

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

All I can say Is that that is not the normal Blank Planchet pattern.. A Blank dies not have parallel looking lines or grooves.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Your coin did not leave the mint looking like that. There is nothing that I know of in the minting process that would produce what you see.

There are many, many ways to damage a coin after it left the mint. Could have been machined out, like a magician's coin, but some metal plug was put in. Just my guess on what caused the damage

14. Dave363

Dave363 Well-Known Member

So I wasn't wrong just mistaken. LOL
    Dave

15. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

16. DTCoins14

DTCoins14 Member

I appreciate all the responses. After a lot of digging I came across an instruction sheet for the penny to a dime magic trick set. It said that their coin has a steel plate inside so that a block with a hidden magnet can be waved over the coin to flip it or something for the trick , and a dime would lay in the cut out circle. After testing it out I found that the disc was magnetic. I also remember that pure zinc is not magnetic. So I would say that I just found myself a magician's coin. Thanks again.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  17. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

To start does your coin make a thud dropped? Is it magnetic? I'm willing to bet that you very well may have a magicians coin know as the gin and tonic. The coin is supposed to look like a normal cent or penny as you will and when dropped hard enough a dime is supposed to come out of the penny. This would most likely explain the rim of the coin being existent and the possibility of having a blank silver colored side. You can even see where it looks like the coin would separate at the left side of the rim shown in this shot. Screenshot_20180625-112802.png
    I also found an example online. Screenshot_20180625-112323.png
    Please share if the coin makes a thud sound and then we can go from there.

RonSanderson likes this.
  18. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

I see I took too long to make my post. I'm glad you were able to figure it out.

DTCoins14 and paddyman98 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted