Lincoln Memorial columns- MD vs DDR

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Vegasnay, Jul 24, 2017.

1. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

I know a certain amount of machine doubling is acceptable by mint standards & it doesn't add value, but how much doubling is necessary before it jumps to the realm of a DDR? I know these columns are different than a normal cent & there IS machine doubling on a few of the letters in USofA, but I want to be sure since this is a 1982 small date zinc cent. IMG_4812.JPG IMG_4786.JPG IMG_4789.JPG

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I think I would have used inevitable instead of acceptable, and I don't think MD ever grows up to be DDR. I stand to be corrected since I seldom know what I am talking about.

4. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

Machine doubling happens during the strike, and happens enough to almost be considered common. The coin before, and the coin after the machine doubled coin may or may not have machine doubling (most likely not). This is also called strike doubling.

A DDR or DDO are not caused by the physical striking of the coin, but is when the 'image' is cut into the die doubled. I don't know enough to say exactly how it happens, but it does. Every coin struck with that die will have the doubling.

They are totally unrelated to each other, and one can not become the other.

Vegasnay likes this.
  5. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

Thank you... I know one cannot become the other, I meant it metaphorically. I've read about strike doubling, machine doubling, true doubling, error doubling, double hubba bubba hub doubling... hahaha just having fun but you know what I mean. I've been learning a very confusing hobby in a matter of 2 months or so.

6. Beefer518

Beefer518 Well-Known Member

and I have found the nuances of doubling to be one of the more confusing things to learn....

7. Kentucky

When you find one of these, make sure to post it :)

Vegasnay likes this.
  8. Noah Finney

Noah Finney Well-Known Member

I thank it is a DDR!

9. Vegasnay

Vegasnay Active Member

Lmao!:happy:

Kentucky likes this.
  10. Kentucky

I think it is an FDR :)

Vegasnay likes this.