Lincoln error? OK.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by SuperDave, Sep 14, 2015.

1. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Disclosure: Forceful, reprehensible mechanical interventions were inflicted upon this coin so I could show you its' features.

1983 Lincoln with a rather poor long-term die diagnosis....

1983crackedObvPosting.JPG 1983CrackedRevPosting.JPG 1983CrackedObvDetailPost.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

cud on the bottom and a die crack on top. $20 on slezbay

Last edited: Sep 14, 2015
    teachmind likes this.
  4. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

5. GSDykes

GSDykes Well-Known Member

Interesting coin, almost looks like solid copper! Great item! Nice find. What does it weigh?? (Is there a "dot" above the "FG" actually the "G" initials??), if so then it may be just a coating "bubble" in the thin Cu plating. If so, it must weigh about 2.5 grams. (I see dot or bubbles everywhere, so I am almost certain it is a 2.5 gram model). The cud fooled me into thinking of solid Cu.
    Gary in Washington

6. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

tommyc03 likes this.
  7. teachmind

teachmind Active Member

dose a crack show the same on a copper cent than a zinc cent? i mean are they exactly the same or show the same in detail?
    this one is zinc look above the W in the word WE.

8. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Zinc it is; you can see it more clearly under the lens. Keep in mind, these images are half of original size and I'm looking at them on a 2560x1440 monitor. This is how I search coins, with my camera rig and the image the camera sees live on my monitor. If I like what I see, I shoot it, like the coin above. Got it in change.

Not bad for a $15 lens, eh? :) Think I flogged it a bit too hard at the magnification level of the detail image, though.

You can expect Zlincolns to show die cracks just about like copper Cents. The cladding isn't thick enough to mess up the process in most cases, and when it is it usually splits somewhere and exposes the zinc. At which point the coin is a dead man walking, anyway.

tommyc03 likes this.
  9. kaosleeroy108

kaosleeroy108 The Mahayana Tea Shop & hobby center

its a cud , ,/ die break , lamination crack , die crack

reverse

die crack 2 oclock 10 oclock

10. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

I would list at as a cud with a partial retained. I think the shape of the crack would suggest that there is a HUGE cud somewhere out there unless they cauht it before it got to that point. I have a quarter with a cud and a full retained cud, but to find a DOUBLE cud...now that would be SUPER cool. very nice coin none the less. it would definitely put a smile on my face :) congrats on the find

Amos 811 likes this.
  11. bryantallard

bryantallard show me the money....so i can look through it

learning question: why do you refer to it as a lamination crack?

12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

It's not a lamination. It's just a die crack.

Draft saved Draft deleted