Lincoln Cents from the ‘60s

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by RonSanderson, May 12, 2024.

1. RonSanderson

RonSanderson Supporter! Supporter

1969-S
    01c 1969-S full 01.gif

Full Resolution Photos
    01c 1969-S obverse 06.JPG
    01c 1969-S reverse 09.JPG

BadThad likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. RonSanderson

1969-S Proof
    This wraps up the 1960’s. Maybe we can try another decade another time - except for those ugly shield cents!

This proof still has that slightly pinkish color that soon starts to turn more red, then brown. The obverse detail is much better than the 1968-S proof. The reverse, however, has lost most of the steps.
    01c 1969-S PF #02 full 01.gif .

Full Resolution Photos
    01c 1969-S PF #02 obverse 05.JPG
    01c 1969-S PF #02 reverse 03.JPG

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Anthony Mazza likes this.
  4. Mr. Numismatist

Mr. Numismatist Strawberry Token Enthusiast

5. RonSanderson

That’s a really good question. Here’s detail of the original photo.

IMG_0780.jpeg

It can’t be a scratch, because it’s in a protected crevice. To reach down that far, both the rim and bust would have to be scratched too.

It looks like some kind of a strikethrough. It is very clean with a very well defined shape. A piece of thread would bend or loop, and this looks like it must have been quite sturdy.

The curvature actually looks about the same as the rim. It almost looks like a bit of wire. If I were to hazard a guess, I would say a tiny bit of copper flashing got pinched between the edge of the dies when striking the previous coin. This may have then fallen into the dies or onto the planchet as this cent was struck, causing the depression we see here.

I wonder if the bullseye spot of corrosion is related to contamination from whatever was struck into the copper?

I will see if I can get the camera to zoom even closer on just this area to see more detail. I will come back with that if I can.

Last edited: Jun 16, 2024
    Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  6. RonSanderson

Well, this was a surprise… I took a picture and the so-called “strikethrough” had moved!
    IMG-27538.jpeg

Since it now looked like a small bristle, I hit it with a puff of air and it moved again.
    IMG-27541.jpeg

A rinse in xylene whisked it away for good.
    IMG-27542.jpeg

This, I guess, is science. Make a hypothesis, test it, and throw it out and try again.

I got new pictures, at any rate.
    01c 1969-S full 01.gif

Mr. Numismatist likes this.
  7. RonSanderson

Bonus: 1964-D
    I replaced the 1964-D shown earlier with this one, because of damage to the reverse of the original.

01c 1964-D #02 full 01.gif

Full Resolution Photos
    01c 1964-D #02 obverse 05.JPG
    01c 1964-D #02 reverse 05.JPG

Anthony Mazza likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted