Lincoln Cent Struck on Indian 1/4 Rupee

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Lon Chaney, Jun 14, 2016.

1. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

For one thing how does that happen? And for another, with todays amazing Computer controlled milling, waterjet, cutting, etc. machines - could it be possible these are being intentionaly made just to fool the TPG's?

paddyman98 likes this.
  4. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

It is possible. It was Mint employee assisted back in 1964.. just toss a Rupee into the Cent blank bin and presto!

Last edited: Jun 14, 2016
    Markus1959 likes this.
  5. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Look, all through history "hanky-panky" has gone on at the mint. It has gotten harder to do these things as each decade has gone by. I have learned that at the ANA's Certification Service in DC that error coins such as this that were 100% made "by the hand of man" were never certified as GENUINE mint errors.

This is one such coin that falls into that category. If it were just a 1964 cent struck on a rupee we could say that a mint employee had some fun. The fact that it is on a supposedly CANCELLED Indian coin makes even more of a stretch!

IMO, TPGS's should have a label category for fantasy coins and Pieces de caprice such as this made for whatever the reason.

paddyman98 likes this.
  6. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

"Today's" technology as opposed to "1964" technology is quite different. I could certainly envision this occurring.

Chris

paddyman98 likes this.
  7. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I love this story.. be open minded. Mint employees were bored back then.
    Look at this NGC item - (not my coin)
    584857-014.PNG

8. jester3681

jester3681 Exonumia Enthusiast

I suspect this coin was the result of some hanky panky at the mint - since the Mint did not strike coins for India, it's not like these coins would be floating around the mint. Maybe this coin was the result of simple mischief, not profitable gain, but I find it hard to believe it was accidental.

Insider and paddyman98 like this.
  9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Just take a look at Fred Weinbergs offerings and you know that many of his errors were personally made. I could see some getting into bags way back then but today? Not so much.

paddyman98 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted