Lincoln Cent Question

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by merlin1066, Mar 23, 2009.

1. merlin1066

merlin1066 Senior Member

What year did the copper content change for the lincoln cent? Does anyone think that those prior to that change will become the "wheats" of tomorrow?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TomCorona

TomCorona New Member

not in this forum..

4. ziggy9

ziggy9 *NEC SPERNO NEC TIMEO*

The Lincoln cent changed from 95% copper mid year in 1982. I don't think they will be like the wheats any time soon because too darn many of them went straight from their first use to a jar of change where they still sit. Many others were collected in rolls that have never been opened. There are too many of them in uncirculated condition.

Richard

5. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

From my previous post, composition changes Lincoln Cent

Also the composition chaged in 1943 (steel) then to Shell Cased Bronze (1944 to 1946) then back to French Bronze (1947) then in 1962 to Brass and finally 1982 both Brass and the new Copper Plated Zinc.
    ***Source The Authoritive Reference on Lincoln Cents, pg. 304 " by Wexler/Flynn***

And no I do not think the pre-1982 Lincoln Cents will be the next frontier because of the copper content - but in gem condition I think all 1959 to dates will be. I mean gems to not MS-64 Reds I mean the spot free full strike type moderns just about have to be the next and only frontier in the Lincoln Cent. They really are going to do away with them in less than 12 years, (my own prediction).

6. C Jay

C Jay Member

I think if anything (goes the way of the wheats), it's going to be pre-1999 quarters. I wonder if we'll ever see an eagle on the reverse again.

7. Sholom

Sholom retired...

But don't you think that the combination of: (a) all copper; and (b) the fact that the Memorial design is now history forever more; will lead to increased demand for Linc. Mem. cents?

I'll grant you that LMC's will never be like Wheaties because there just aren't the way-low mintages (lots of coins with under 50m) while LMC's are almost all over 500M . . .

But I can see pre-82's becoming much more scarce than they are now

8. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I said it would but not because of copper alone.

But don't you think that the combination of: (a) all copper; and (b) the fact that the Memorial design is now history forever more; will lead to increased demand for Linc. Mem. cents?

I said it would but not because of copper alone.

What folks are going to find out that all memorials are going to be tough in MS-65, 66 Red or above. People are going to find that the lowly memorial is going to cost them much more than they ever thought before!
    Yes, mint state coins are common but gems are not common at all whether they be pre. 82 or post 82!

Draft saved Draft deleted