Lincoln’s First Year

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Collecting Nut, Apr 1, 2023.

1. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

Just under 28 million were minted but try and find one today. Its only been 119 years ago. A very nice example of a 1909 VDB. The VDB is on the reverse at 6 o’clock. The coin was designed by Victor D. Brenner to commemorate the 100th anniversary of Abraham Lincoln’s birth.
    Later in the year the VDB was removed but it was restored to the coin in 1918. It was relocated to the obverse on Lincoln’s shoulder, where it remains to this day.
    DD9DD7BB-B31B-4B2A-AE7A-A14321F3C5C9.jpeg B7FE32D8-99C3-4C4D-9B98-8984D4CE07AE.jpeg

PamR, robec and tommyc03 like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Collecting Nut

I almost forgot, this was the first cent and obviously the first year of the motto IN GOD WE TRUST to appear on coins.

EDITED to correct my mistake.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2023
    PamR likes this.
  4. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Wrong want another guess?

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Nice bit of information for those just getting into coin collection. Thanks for the post.

Collecting Nut likes this.
  7. Collecting Nut

I am so bad. It’s the first Cent to carry the mottos, not the first coin. I edited it as I still could. Thank you.

lardan and Paddy54 like this.
  8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

1909 Lincoln Centennial Medal by Whitehead & Hoag.
    exnu (281).JPG exnu (282).JPG

9. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Got a few VDB's in my altered Abe collection.
    20220914_122052.jpg 20220914_122131.jpg

Texas Cent.
    texas ¢ (6).jpg
    texas ¢ (7).jpg

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  10. Collecting Nut

11. dimeguy

dimeguy Dime Enthusiast

So, what inspired the controversy? Why remove the initials? My impression, and correct me if I am wrong, the mint Treasurer or Director saw the release and was ticked that he did not give the final say of the initials being minted on the coin? I don't think it was an issue of it never being done before because I am pretty sure St. Gaudens had his on the gold piece. Yes? I am not sure what inspired them to reconstitute the design in 1918 with the initials.

12. Collecting Nut

I have no idea but everyone that had any say so in the matter is now deceased.

13. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

14. lardan

lardan Supporter! Supporter

I've needed editing in my life a few times.

15. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Here is the medal that started it all. Victor David Brenner showed an example of this medal to Theodore Roosevelt while the president was posing for the Panama Canal workers' medal. Roosevelt liked it and get the ball rolling for the Lincoln Cent.

Lincoln VDB Total.jpg

This plaque was also designed by Brenner. Just a word of warning. There are some reproductions of this piece that are worth considerably less.

Lincoln plaque Reg.jpg

16. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

Lincoln's image has been used in so many ways. It would be really tough to have an example of everything.
    Image_1100.JPG Image_1102.JPG Image_1115.JPG Image_1117.JPG Image_1119.JPG Image_1121.JPG

Collecting Nut and alurid like this.
  17. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

Yes, Lincoln was known as "honest Old Abe" when he was running for president in 1864.

AL 1864-4  All.jpg

alurid likes this.
  18. PamR

PamR You Never Know! Supporter

Really nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted