Limping Buffalo

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Chip Kirkpatrick, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Chip Kirkpatrick

Chip Kirkpatrick Well-Known Member

Spent some time going through a number of Buffalo nickels when I spotted THIS one.

I know there are 3 legged and 3 1/2 legged buff nickels but I believe they center around the forelegs. What about a rear leg? The rear leg on this nickel disappears into the rim before the hoof. Every other nickel I’ve seen either presents the entire rear leg or at least down to the hoof.
    Opinions?
    E0B34685-0420-445A-9C09-1A60E7681A54.jpeg 0CD3DA13-86E6-4953-B9F4-4DFD6031C450.jpeg 16A4051C-E8E9-4074-9E47-25776A36FA90.jpeg 932B9196-C506-4AE5-84C2-4A45B57E2BE6.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Are you sure it isn't due to the circulation wear along the rim of the coin?

Chris

tommyc03 and Inspector43 like this.
  4. BuffaloHunter

BuffaloHunter Short of a full herd Supporter

I don't see anything out of the ordinary. Regular circulation wear.

5. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It looks normal to me.

6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

While your photos aren't that clear, it almost looks like I can see a D mint mark, but you may be able to clarify that in hand. It would be about a VG, weak strike, causing the hind leg to not clearly strike. In its condition, it would be hard to tell. In the "Guide Book of Buffalo and Jefferson Nickels" Bowers goes into detail about the strike quality and also covers the difficulty in adjusting the dies to fully strike so it would last longer. It seems that often the dies were given more space so they would last longer but created a "weak" strike. The devices closest to the rim often suffered the most.
    Even when it appears to be a strong strike, those details can be weak due to the spacing of the dies.
    Some examples
    1935 AU reverse.jpg
    1935 D
    1929_BU_reverse-removebg-preview.png

BuffaloHunter and JCKTJK like this.
  7. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Limping Buffalo? My tribal name...

8. Chip Kirkpatrick

While I’m far from an expert, it would seem this would be normal wear... 38774D25-59E3-4DFA-8FD3-4868CC58449D.jpeg

Attached Files:

9. Chip Kirkpatrick

10. Fred Weinberg

Fred Weinberg Well-Known Member

Not an error or die variety.

SCW

Simply Circulation Wear

11. Chip Kirkpatrick

Not challenging you but how is the back of the leg going into the rim circulation wear? It appears to show the leg going down at the same angle as any other Buff nickel. I simply can not see how that would happen.

12. 2manyhobbies

2manyhobbies Well-Known Member

I think the rim on your coin has been flattened over time and has taking over some of the detail on the leg. If you look just below cents. You'll notice just how much wider the rim has become.

13. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

You are taking the wrong approach trying to explain errors coins. You should NEVER say “I can’t explain how this damage could occur, so it must be an error”. You ALWAYS need to explain how it could occur in the minting and die making process. The minting process is well documented so if you have a good understanding, you should be able to present a reasonable explanation. There are an unlimited number of things that can happen to a coin after it leaves the mint, so pin pointing the exact cause of damage may never be possible

As others have said, your coin could not have left the mint looking like that. While some may find it interesting to speculate on what caused the damage/wear, in the grand scheme of things, it really doesn’t matter because it is not an error/variety.

Hope this helps

14. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

An order for a coin to be an error, you, as the owner of the coin, must be able to explain how that error occurred and the error needs to be explained how it happened in the minting of the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted