Limits of Coin Making - Inwardly Angled Rim?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by iPen, Apr 16, 2018.

1. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

This is an odd question, but can a coin die effectively strike and create a relief design that has a rim angled like a chapter ring on a watch? I know that there are concave coin examples that were made with unique challenges. My example, however, would be much more steep. I'd think that rim area of the die can't simply have a "straight" incuse design, or it may "smear" as it struck and cause something like an MD effect. Or maybe if it's struck hard and fast enough it wouldn't matter (?).

Here's a pic of a chapter ring with a dial to illustrate what I mean by an inwardly angled rim. Maybe this is a question for someone like @dcarr (I can't get the hyperlink to appear for some reason).

Thanks in advance!

upload_2018-4-16_21-22-44.png

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

I don't see why not. Looking at some of the crazy NCLT coins released in recent years, something like this should be easy in comparison.

4. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Yeah, it could be done, but only if and when the die with angled surface was the anvil die. Otherwise the struck coin could not be pushed out the collar after it was struck.

But, if you would, please post a picture of the coin in question. That would make it lot easier to see exactly whatever it is you are talking about.

5. iPen

iPen Well-Known Member

It's not a coin per se. I want to get something made...

I'll probably create a thread dedicated to it sometime sooner or later.

6. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

If what you're asking is can you make a coin where the rim is lower towards the center of the coin then at the outer edge, the answer is yes. If you're asking can the inner edge of the rim slant inward towards the center of the coin, then the answer is no. If the inner edge of the rim was beveled so that it sloped towards the center of the coin, you would not be able to release the coin from the die.

Draft saved Draft deleted