Limited Edition Red book 2008 - any value?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by PaddyB, Jul 28, 2020.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Be kind - I am a rare visitor to the US section - I hang out mainly in world coins.

A friend has lent me a copy of "The Official Red Book, a Guide book of United States Coins, Limited edition 2008". Inside is a label for the American Numismatic Society 150th Anniversary event at the Waldorf Astoria January 10 2008, listing this as number 161 of 250.
    My friend believes this makes it a rare collectable - I am more sceptical. What say you?
    It is in immaculate condition with gold leaf edges to the pages.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ddddd

ddddd Member

capthank likes this.
  4. ddddd

ddddd Member

@Treashunt is the go-to person for Red Books as he wrote the reference for them.

capthank and fretboard like this.
  5. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Yes, some people collect them, so yes it's collectible!

capthank and GeorgeM like this.
  6. PaddyB

Ah - that is good to know. This one also had Ken Bresset's signature on a certificate page and a separate "Copy 0570 of 3000" caption there.

ddddd likes this.
  7. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

I would definitely tell my friend to do a little research on this before deciding what they want to do with it.

capthank likes this.
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Ditto! ~ Chris

capthank and ddddd like this.
  9. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

All I can offer is that in the 2015 Red Book (the most recent one I have), they list the value of a new 2008 NLG Limited Edition Red Book at $1000 and a new 2008 ANS Limited Edition at $750. Reality will require searching old auctions, including numismatic auctions like Kolbe & Fanning.

capthank likes this.
  10. PaddyB

Wow! That is pretty insane. I don't believe there is any collector's market for out of date Spinks coin books, our equivalent of the US red book here in the UK.
    I will pass on the good news to my friend.

capthank and GeorgeM like this.
  11. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

capthank and ddddd like this.
  12. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Thanks for the mention.

:)

ddddd likes this.
  13. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

That is only because they have a special cover that marked an event. The old, run of the mill Red Books, after the first 10 editions are not worth very much, just like the old Spinks guides.

14. Mike Davis

Mike Davis Well-Known Member

WOW! I guess I need to find the first one I started out with, I think it was a 1964 edition . But it wasn't no golf leaf edition.

15. Black Friar

Black Friar Well-Known Member

Just a quick note. Between Walter Breen and Ken Bresset, there are very many signed copies of their signatures. I do have six of the special commemorative Red's, and one of Walter's Walter Breen's Complete Encyclopedia of U.S. and Colonial Coins. Unsigned versions of the Breen book I have seen for $100. I personally think that is too high.

It's sad that Walter's life ended in prison from cancer, as a convicted pedophile.

Ken is still out there and still signing. He is a fun person to be around...everyone is his friend. A good soul.

Draft saved Draft deleted