Limes top 10 2021

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Limes, Dec 12, 2021.

Tags:
?

Vote for your favorite coin

1. Sextus Pompey

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  2. Octavian

15 vote(s)
    30.0%
  3. Brutus

5 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. Claudius denarius

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
  5. Claudius sestertius

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Nero

7 vote(s)
    14.0%
  7. Vindex

26 vote(s)
    52.0%
  8. Trajan

10 vote(s)
    20.0%
  9. Elagabal

11 vote(s)
    22.0%
  10. Constantine the Great

6 vote(s)
    12.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Hello everyone,

It’s time for my top 10 of 2021! This year, I managed to acquire 19 new coins: 18 Romans and 1 Greek (a worn but very nice tetradrachm of Syracuse). And I’ve sold 9 coins via the excellent AMCC auction, of our dear member Severus Alexander (take care, I wish you the best...).

Also, I found that I have spent less time on this hobby this year in comparison to previous years. The home situation with little kids takes up quite a lot of time, and furthermore I’ve started a with new education which necessitates my attention in most of the evening hours. I’d like to have done more research and write ups, but I’ll have to do that another time.

Below you may find my top 10. Each coin has a short explanation as to why this one made my top 10. My top 10 is comprised of Romans only, and despite the lack of variation, I still hope members are willing to take a look at them. Please vote and let me know which 3 coins are your favorite.

In order of date:

1. Sextus Pompey
    0.13.png

I really wanted a coin of this type that shows Scylla in great detail. This coin definately ticks that box and because other elements are missing, it was affordable too. I got it late in 2020, but it was delivered beginning 2021. I really like this coin and just had to add it to my top 10 list of 2021. I enjoy the symbolism about this one. Its a powerful image and reminds me of the struggle, wars, and intrigues that took place at the end of the republic. The rise of Octavian was anything but easy and I like to imagine the tenacity necessary to achieve his goal.

2. Octavian
    0.14.png

A beautiful portrait of Octavian, not yet stylized as his later portraits as Augustus. The reverse shows enough detail to be able to imagine how the arch looked like. I really enjoy architectural types. The arch shown on the reverse was erected by Octavian to celebrate his victory at Actium. It wasn’t very popular to build monuments to celebrate a victory over fellow Romans, so this arch was remodelled in 19 BC into a bigger arch that celebrates the return of the standards lost by Crassus.

3. Brutus
    0.16.png

Since it’s very unlikely that I will ever own the other coin of Brutus with a knife on it, this is as close as I can get. The imperatorial era is a very interesting era in Roman history and I like to think that in these modern times lessons can be learned from that period in time. Anyway, the coin itself has obvious flaws and I find it difficult to properly photograph the for me key element of this coin, the knife, due to some black deposits next to it. In hand it’s very clear. It’s not a rare type, but popular and better types fetch high prices. I’m more than happy with my budget type.

4. Claudius
    7.7.png

Despite the obvious wear and faults, this coin is perhaps one of my most treasured acquisitions of this year and my entire collection. I was very surprised that it appeared in an e-shop of a US based dealer and not in an auction, and having been outbid a few times before, I without a doubt bought it. These types are scarce, and especially in a condition that makes it afforable. The reverse commemorates the victory of Claudius in Britain, modelling it into a Roman province and thereby determining it’s future.

5. Claudius sestertius
    7.6.png

This big boy is beautiful, heavy, and overall a very interesting and appealing coin. I like the portrait of Claudius, very sophisticated. But the reverse is where the action is. ‘For saving the citizens’, it says. From what? Well, his nephew, Caligula! Its debated whether Claudius had any role to play in the assassination of Caligula, and his raise to power via the praetorian guard is exemplary for their role in making an emperor. But perhaps the conclusion is that the guy was in the right place at the right time, but also one of the best things that could happen to the empire at that time.

6. Nero
    8.4.png

I enjoy architectural types, and I was on the look out for this type due to the reverse. A lovely depiction of the temple of Vesta as it once stood on the Forum Romanum (part of it is stil visible). And the portrait of Nero isn’t too bad either.

7. Vindex
    9.1.png

I was on the look out for an issue of Vindex to add to my few other coins of the main characters of the civil war of 68-69 AD. This one caught my attention because of the beautiful obverse depiction of Mars. The coins of Vindex were recalled after Vespasianus was victorious in 69 AD and are quite rare today, although Leu auctioned quite some civil war issues, including this type, in their no. 9 auction.

8. Trajan
    18.5.2.png

Did I mention that I enjoy architectural types? This one of Trajan is quite rare and I had never seen one before. This one really deserves proper research and a write up. If only a day had more hours... The coin is obviously quite worn, but the portrait is good and I can still see the details of the reverse under good lighting. After I had purchased this one, a few other ones appeared in an auction of Jean Elsen. In retrospect, I did quite alright buying this one.

9. Elagabal
    34.2.png

The deranged emperor brought with him the cult stone of El Gabal, from Emesa, a black conical meteorite. Under his reign, he tried to unite Roman and Syrian religion under the supremacy of his own deity, which he even considered higher than Jupiter. He erected a temple dedicated to Elagabal, on the Palatine hill. Some remains are still visible today. The history behind this coin makes it one of the most appealing coins of the Severan dynasty, in my opinion. Like many of my other coins, it has some obvious flaws, but when it comes to coins like these, I cannot be too picky.

10. Constantine the Great
    91.4.png

In 2016 I went to a museum exhibition about Constantine. The exhibition was about the the rise of Christianity and one of the more controversial images still intrigues me: the eyes to heaven portraits of Constantine. This siliqua is such a gorgeous coin, with a perfect portrait in that specific style. The black stuff on the hair is hardly a nuisance. When I saw it, I knew I had to have it and I was lucky that I even got it below my max. I still need to do more research about this coin.

Thanks for reading and voting! And thanks for everyone who posted their list. It's a lot of fun looking at everyone's favorite coins.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pellinore

Pellinore Well-Known Member

Vindex, a beautiful portrait on a coin I didn't know existed; Trajan, a coin with architectural perspective; and Sextus Pompeius, with clear expressive figures on both sides, especially the furious nymph Scylla.

Limes likes this.
  4. wittwolf

wittwolf Well-Known Member

You seem to have had a great year, many very interesting pieces. Its hard to choose but my three favorites are the denarii of Octavian, Claudius and Elagabal.

Limes likes this.
  5. gogili1977

gogili1977 Well-Known Member

I like #1which has strong message both obverse and reverse, also #2 with great portrait of Octavian and #5 Claudius sestertius.

Limes likes this.
  6. ambr0zie

ambr0zie Dacian Taraboste

Ten great coins.
    I chose Sextus Pompey, Brutus and Vindex - would proudly add them in my collection.

Limes likes this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

WOW, you aren't making the choices easy! I started marking down top three before seeing the entire list. Always a mistake :D.

The Pompey Scylla is definitely #1 for me. From there it's a messy tie. Favorites: Octavian triumphal arch denarius, Claudius denarius, Trajan sestertius, and of course the Elagabalus sacred stone denarius.

All are enviable acquisitions!

Curtisimo, Limes and rrdenarius like this.
  8. happy_collector

happy_collector Well-Known Member

Such nice pickups, @Limes. :)

I absolutely like your Sextus Pompey denarius. Scylla is so wonderful! Your Nero and Constantine (eyes to Heaven) is very interesting also. Thanks for sharing!

Limes and Carl Wilmont like this.
  9. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Now, that's the kind of list that I like : I would have voted for at least 6 if allowed

Scylla, Octavian and Vindex got my vote though

Q

Curtisimo and Limes like this.
  10. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

What a freaking sweet Scylla:vamp::cigar: and I felt terrible dissing Octavian for Vindex but that Mars is just too bad ace!
    And that Brutus is one I've been chasing for a while. Excellent year of coins:woot: Thanks for sharing

Limes likes this.
  11. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

12. singig

singig Well-Known Member

So many nice and interesting types you have, very difficult to chose only three.
    I remember the Trajan sestertius you posted first this summer , is the first place for me , I'm jealous :).
    The Claudius denarius is a dream coin for any roman collector.
    For the third place I chose the Octavian denarius, but the Nero denarius , Constantine siliqua or Claudius sestertius are very close ...

Limes likes this.
  13. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Ahh now I know where all the great architectural types are going, absolutely fantastic ten, but your Trajan and Claudius Denarius are stand outs both very hard coins to acquire, congrats on a great year.

Limes likes this.
  14. rrdenarius

rrdenarius non omnibus dormio Supporter

Great year, my favorite, hands down, is #1. Vindex is interesting. It looks like a Republican coin in Imperial times.

Limes likes this.
  15. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Terrific siliqua

Limes likes this.
  16. Shea19

Shea19 Well-Known Member

What a great year @Limes ! My favorites are the sacred stone denarius (I really want one of those), the Nero denarius, and the Octavian, but all 10 are great additions.

Limes likes this.
  17. Herodotus

Herodotus Well-Known Member

Well it looks as if I'm in consensus with the board on the Pompey and Vindex coins.

I also have a soft spot for Julio-Claudian Sestertii. As such, it is my favorite of the bunch.

Limes likes this.
  18. Spaniard

Spaniard Well-Known Member

Super selection!...#2, #8 and #9 for me but they're all lovely! Congrats and thanks for sharing.

Limes likes this.
  19. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

I think they are all great, but the Pompey and Vindex are my picks:)
    John

Limes likes this.
  20. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Wow, what a fantastic group! I voted for the Pompey, the Vindex, and the Elagabalus.

Limes likes this.
  21. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Excellent list! It looks like you had a great coin year. It was really hard for me to pick only three favorites. I ultimately went with the Civil War denarius, the Constantine anepigraphic eyes to heaven siliqua, and the Elagabalus Stone of Emesa, though the Octavian and Pompey are right up there too. The Scylla on the Pompey is very nice indeed, as is the lighthouse, which has window detail that hasn't been worn away.

Limes likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted