Like toned coins? The million dollar Morgan.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Morgandude11, Nov 1, 2014.

1. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

Here is an interesting article on the Norweb-Jack Lee 1893s Morgan and its background. It is generally considered one of the finest Morgans out there, even more spectacular than some of the MS 69 examples of other dates that do exist. The toning, overall eye appeal, and pedigree make it one of the most desirable coins for any collector to own. The million dollar price tag doesn't help the average collector, but it is wonderful to dream, isn't it?

http://www.coinlink.com/News/us-coi...ver-dollar-more-than-1-million-for-an-1893-s/

jello likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

I think it's a beautiful coin, but there are SO many other beautiful coins that I would prefer to have were I to have the money to afford this one.

4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Wow.

Is that spattered, chaotic toning really considered "desirable"? If I came across toning like this on an "ordinary mortal's" coin, I wouldn't dip it off -- but I certainly wouldn't pay a premium for it.

I guess I'm missing out on a lot because of my unsophisticated and untrained tastes. Given my budget, though, that's probably just as well.

JPeace$ likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Ugly in my opinion

dwhiz and bkozak33 like this.
  6. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

The price is in my budget, but i would be running a huge deficit.

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Jack Lee Dream collection for 99% of us!
    But that what keeps collecting Morgan dollar's the alive and so active the hope of finding a Morgan dollar MS67+ someone had hidden away from public a lifetime or two.

8. bahabully

bahabully Junior Member

I agree with the ugly. Not attractive toning at all imo. Would deduct rather than add premium for me. I'd dip it.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

Butt ugly coin.....but what do I know

10. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I would consider that toning VERY UGLY. Looks like someone spilled some coffee on it and just let it dry. Even if I could afford this coin I would never even consider buying it for one second.

11. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Like they did with the Norweb coin?

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

Guess I'll have to make it unanimous, or nearly so anyway, ugly as a mud fence !

Kentucky and jwitten like this.
  13. Morgandude11

Each to his/her own. That is one of the most celebrated coins in the numismatic world. The toning is interesting, and original, and I doubt that there are too many MS 67 1893s coins floating around. I have seen it, and it is prettier in hand.

14. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

I think the photo's in the link are not the best.
    I recall the catalog from their sale. They where like in hand and 1000% better. Toning like wine some ya like and some ya don't.
    Money won due to name of the collection.

:)

15. 19Lyds

19Lyds Member of the United States of Confusion

IMO, the toning on that coin, regardless of how many times you tell me that its desirable, is just not that desirable. On a less rare coin such as an 1897-S in MS64, folks would certainly not be proclaiming that toning as "desirable".

Of course, the article points out that the Norweb Specimen (also an MS67) was "conserved" which apparently had an impact in it's ability to resell do to a lack of originality.

But then, that's just the coin business! Right?

16. Morgandude11

Here's a better picture of the coin by PCGS:

28286119_38695809_2200.jpg

geekpryde and jello like this.
  17. 19Lyds

That picture doesn't change my opinion. If anything at all, it validates the fact that hyping the toning as a justification for the cost is just hype. Sometimes, hype can affect desirability but not in this case.

18. GDJMSP

No picture is going to change my mind about that coin being ugly. But more than that, if that coin was anything but a '93-S, it would never have gotten a 67 grade either.

It has quite a few hairlines, obv and rev. There are several marks on the cheek in several different places, the most prominent being at the back of the cheek just in front of the hair, more marks on the nose, and more on the cap. And on the rev, the rim has displaced metal at 6 o'clock.

Grade wise, the coin just isn't deserving of a 67. 65 I wouldn't argue with, but not a 67.

19. 19Lyds

Ah yes but then the author of the linked story states: "It helps to keep in mind that grading standards for Morgan Dollars are a little looser than standards for other 19th century silver coins, in part because Morgans typically accumulated numerous bagmarks and other contact marks." which gives the marks a "pass".

Not in my opinion, mind you, but in the opinion of those which have a vested interest in seeing this coin sell for 1.5 million or more.

BTW, I believe that the TPG's are in a "Stable" war regarding who can advertise that they've graded some fairly rare coins and as such, some questionable grades have been "awarded" to some rare coins. How else could a coin graded by one of the lessor TPG's go from AU58 to a PCGS MS62?

20. GDJMSP

I'll readily agree with you about the existence of the "stable" war, that's been going on for many, many years.

As for the grading itself, there are far too coins of note that PCGS has upgraded even its own previous grades for that to be a factor.

21. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

War yes for sure!
    Also was not John A the man at Pcgs final say on grades at that time?

Draft saved Draft deleted