Lighthouse Phonescope opinions

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by midtncoin, Mar 18, 2018.

1. midtncoin

midtncoin Well-Known Member

I was thinking about purchasing the Lighthouse Phonescope magnifier -- its a magnifier for smartphones that will magnify 60x -- for taking better pictures of coins.

Has anyone ever tried this product and can give a review or feedback?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

My wife bought me one that isn't from Lighthouse. It is amazingly effective - I just forget to put it on my phone and use a camera instead. I should try it. It was a cheaper model and was <$20, and worked as described.

4. midtncoin

@TheFinn, it sounds like yours is a stand-alone camera/magnifier device? Or are you describing a stand-alone magnifier that works with a normal digitial camera?

The Lighthouse one that I"m considering is currently listed on JP's website at $21.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The few reviews I found didn't seem all too positive, but such things should always be taken with a grain of salt. Still, when it comes to optics, one usually gets what they pay for when buying new items.

My guess is much would depend on your expectations. Are you hoping to take extreme closeups or just whole-coin photos?

Cheech9712 likes this.
  6. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

I would like to find out about such magnifiers for regular digital cameras. My own is quite old and cannot take a decent close-up.

Cheech9712 likes this.
  7. midtncoin

Whole-coin photos. I'm not trying to take images of machine-doubling or anything that can't be seen unassisted. Just want to get good photos of the coins. But my iphone doesn't seem to cut it.

8. juris klavins

juris klavins Well-Known Member

Amazon sells it (via JPs) for 21.99 free shipping (JPs charges 9.95) - there are only 3 reviews, but they're all positive - sounds like a good value - if you don't like it, you're only out $22 or re-sell it ;)
    https://www.amazon.com/Phonescope-Magnification-Newspapers-Documents-Smartphone/dp/B00XQB7T5O/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1521476902&sr=8-2-fkmr1&keywords=lighthouse phone scope magnifier#customerReviews

9. BooksB4Coins

You would be better off with other options, likely cheaper with superior optics. Any chance you've an old normal camera lens sitting unused?

10. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Cheech9712 likes this.
  11. midtncoin

I don't have one laying around but could probably come up with one. You thinking just put the camera lens between the coin and the iphone?

12. midtncoin

13. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It is just a little lens that clips on to your phone. No stand.

14. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

They are China's version of ebay, except they can sell US fake coins and goods. If you have 99 cent stores in your vicinity, check there, as I have seen them in mine occasionally @ 1.99. I have one I bought there somewhere, but they are mostly plastic.

15. BooksB4Coins

Exactly. Depending on if what you have is workable, it should allow you to get closer and even the cheapest vintage nifty fifties (or close to it) are almost certainly going to have optics superior to any cheapie clip-on gadget. The key here is to use it backwards, or use your phone to shoot through the front of the lens as opposed to as it's designed to mount to the camera.

It's been a while since I've played around with this, but I can promise you that using my iPhone along with a old Topcor 50mm reversed will allow the phone to focus closer and take a more detailed shot. I cannot promise this is the solution, but certainly is work checking out.

16. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

You members kill me. I don't even dare to try to send a picture. I'm a coin talk embarrassment.

LA_Geezer likes this.
  17. BooksB4Coins

You've nothing to be embarrassed about, and anyone who would consider you such isn't worth your time, or mine.

LA_Geezer and Cheech9712 like this.
  18. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

God bless ya

LA_Geezer likes this.
  19. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

As I noted above, I have an old Kodak digital camera that works just fine for normal photographic needs, but it is impossible for me to take a decent closeup. I checked out the Amazon link that @juris klavins provided, and found that this could not work for me, but then I saw this other listing that Amazon suggested, and it turns out that there are several different devices of this kind selling for less than $100. I have not looked into these, but they might turn out to be something worth investigating.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PEZ3GM...Yc&pd_rd_r=EXKMV8RK65N0QRX2YJXV&pd_rd_w=ifNuu

Draft saved Draft deleted