light weight dime with the rolled edge missing looks like two half's glued together

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by jpzestrada, Apr 8, 2012.

1. jpzestrada

jpzestrada New Member

dime 002.jpg
    anyone seen anything like this?
    the coin is considerably lighter than a regular dime, no i dont have a scale to tell you by how much. the vending machine wouldn't take it and when i got it out of the return slot i thought for sure it was a Canadian dime because it was so light, but it is a 1991 us dime. looks like some joker cut a dimes in half and glued it back together or something and the lost weight is from the metal shavings. or like they ran out of copper at the mint or something.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

It might have been acid eaten. The core was dissolved. What does the rest of the coin look like.

4. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Looks like an acid bath, the acid eats away at the copper quicker than the nickle. Usually, the surface of the coin will look grainy or sandblasted after this process.

5. jpzestrada

jpzestrada New Member

pics you ordered

dime 003.jpg dime 004.jpg
    just the head looks beat up, its like a bunch of little Christmas trees protruding from the face of the coin. really tiny and protruding not indented.

6. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

Acid bath for sure. The reason for the protrusions is the slight variance in the mixture of metals. I suspect that it is more promanent on the obverse because it sat in the acid obverse side up slightly protecting the reverse.

7. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

Ditto. Acid damage.

8. 10gary22

10gary22 Junior Member

Yep, looks like it was sitting with the heads side up in a glass of acid for a time. IMHO

9. jpzestrada

jpzestrada New Member

end of thread

thanks for the help
    i think we can end the thread

Draft saved Draft deleted