Lifetime portrait denarius of Julius Caesar

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Parthicus, Apr 14, 2020.

1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Julius Caesar.jpg
    Roman Republic. AR denarius (19 mm, 3.9 g). Gaius Julius Caesar, as Dictator, with Lucius Aemilius Buca as moneyer. Issued January-February 44 BC. Obverse: Laureate head of Julius Caesar right, crescent behind, legend around CAESAR IM P M, dotted border around. Reverse: Venus Victrix standing left, holding Victory on extended right hand and scepter in left hand, legend around L AEMILIVS BVCA, dotted border around. Banker's mark on obverse just above Caesar's ear, creating flat area on reverse. Crawfod 480/4, RSC 22. This coin: Won at @John Anthony auction, ex @Sallent collection.

If you are reading the Ancients board here on CoinTalk, or indeed if you have any interest in history at all, you have surely heard of Julius Caesar and have at least some idea of who he was. Full-length biographies have been written about him, and there is too much known about his life for me to include all the important points here. Instead, I will give a very brief summary, and urge interested readers to seek out further books themselves (some of which were even written by Julius Caesar himself).

Gaius Julius Caesar was born in 100 BC, to a venerable (claiming descent from Aeneas and thus, ultimately, from the goddess Venus) Roman patrician family. He became head of his family at the age of 16 upon his father's death, and sided with his uncle Marius in his bloody political struggle with Sulla. This proved dangerous when Sulla ultimately triumphed, and Sulla stripped him of his inheritance and his wife's dowry, and even tried to force Caesar to divorce his wife, who was the daughter of another major supporter of Marius. Caesar, perhaps hoping to avoid Sulla, started a career in the army serving in Asia Minor. He went on a mission to personally convince King Nikomedes IV of Bithynia to lend a fleet to the Romans. A rumor started that Caesar had a sexual relationship with Nikomedes, and while there is no proof of this, Caesar's enemies later disparagingly called him "the Queen of Bithynia." Sulla died in 78 BC, leaving Caesar free to return to Rome. On his voyage, he was kidnapped by pirates who demanded a ransom of 20 talents of silver. Caesar insolently demanded they increase their demand to 50 talents, and was generally insolent and told the pirates that he would return and have them crucified. This amused the pirates, and when the ransom was paid they released Caesar. Caesar returned with a small fleet, hunted down the pirates, and (acting on his own authority) had them all crucified, after first slitting their throats in an act of mercy.

Returning to Rome, Caesar embarked on the standard political career expected of an ambitious patrician, rising through the various offices. In 62 BC, as governor of Hispanic Ulterior (the western Iberian Peninsula), he won some military victories over local tribes and was acclaimed Imperator by the troops. (At the time this was simply a title for successful military leaders; it did not acquire its meaning of "Emperor" until later.) In 60 BC, he successfully ran for one of the two consul positions, the highest office in the Roman Republic. To consolidate power, he made an informal alliance, known to later historians as the First Triumvirate, with two of his most powerful potential rivals: Marcus Licinius Crassus, the wealthiest man in Rome, and Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (Pompey the Great), a successful military leader. Caesar's daughter Julia married Pompey, further cementing the alliance. The three of them would cooperate to control all important offices between them, for their mutual benefit. Caesar's main accomplishment was a law granting public lands to the poor. When his one-year term as consul ended, Caesar quickly left to take over the governorship of Cisalpine and Transalpine Gaul. (By holding this position, he could avoid prosecution for corruption during his consulship, as only private citizens were liable to prosecution.)

Caesar launched military action against the unconquered portions of Gaul, and led incursions across the Rhine to fight Germanic allies of the Gauls. He also landed in Britain in 55 and 54 BC, but both times was unable to advance very far, and returned to the mainland. During this time, Julia died, which caused his alliance with Pompey to weaken. In 53 BC, Crassus was killed in a failed invasion of Parthia, which ended the Triumvirate. In 52 BC, Caesar achieved overall victory over the Gauls at the Battle of Alesia, capturing the Gaulish king Vercingetorix. In 50 BC, as Caesar's term as governor expired, the Senate ordered him to disband his army and return to Rome. However, returning to Rome as a private citizen would leave him open to prosecution, and as he had not had official sanction to start the war against the Gauls, this would surely be used against him. In early 49 BC, Caesar crossed the Rubicon into Italy with just the Thirteenth Legion, a direct challenge to the Senate's authority. Pompey and many Senators fled, and Caesar spent the next several years traveling around the Mediterranean world hunting down various factions. Pompey was assassinated in Egypt, which reportedly saddened Caesar. While in Egypt, Caesar intervened in a civil war, setting up Cleopatra VII on the throne (and also having a son with her, who was named Caesarion [Little Caesar]). On returning to Rome, he was granted triumphs, nominally for his victories over Gaul, Egypt, Pontus, and Numidia, as it would be unseemly to honor his victories over fellow Romans. Caesar at this point was very popular, especially with the soldiers and poorer classes, but some among the Senatorial class worried that he was starting to act like a king. He heaped numerous titles on himself, appointed many new Senators and magistrates (who would of course be loyal to Caesar), and, as on this coin, allowed his image to appear on the currency. In February 44 BC, he was appointed Dictator in Perpetuity. He had held the title of Dictator (which granted absolute power to one man, and was intended as a temporary emergency office) on previous occasions; it had most recently been granted in 47 BC with a stated term of ten years. Granting the Dictatorship with no time limit, however, was really just creating a king with a different name. Caesar was at this point making plans for an invasion of Parthia to avenge Crassus (and of course capture wealthy new territory), but these plans would never be realized. On March 15 (the Ides of March), 44 BC, a group of Senators assassinated Caesar, claiming they were acting to prevent him from becoming a king. Caesar had no legitimate son, and it was expected that his will would name his trusted lieutenant Marcus Antonius as heir. However, Caesar's will unexpectedly named his grandnephew Gaius Octavianus as heir, posthumously adopting him as Caesar's son.

This coin is dated to early 44 BC, just a few months before Caesar's murder. It shows a great, realistic portrait of Caesar and references his titles of Imperator and Pontifex Maximus (High Priest, which he had held since 63 BC), but the lack of his title Dictator Perpetuo (which is seen on a few of his last coins) implies this was struck prior to that title being conferred. This is a great coin, extremely historical, worn but still quite attractive. There is a banker's mark (applied in ancient times to test the silver for purity), but it is placed in a spot that does not detract much from the appearance of the coin. I am very happy that I was able to acquire this piece, and I expect it will be number one on my year-end summary. Please post your coins of Julius Caesar, or whatever else is related.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

Very nice! Here's mine with Venus seated and Dictator for life!

https://www.forumancientcoins.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-88096

Caesar_4.jpg
    CAESAR DICT PERPETVO
    laureate head of Julius Caesar right

L BVCA
    Venus seated right holding Victory on extended right hand, transverse scepter in left

Struck Feb - Mar 14th, 44 BC.

3.58g

RCV 1410, RSC 24.

Venus seated' only appears on this one type of Caesar's 'lifetime' issues, on the remainder she is standing.

Lucius Aemilius Buca was a distant relative of the dictator Sulla. This coin was struck within a month of Caesar's murder.

Ex-Incitatus, Ex-CNG Electronic Auction 223, lot 393

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Nice example of an important coin. My only example is one that was holed and then filled. Trade? :wideyed:
    Julius Caesar 7 a.jpg

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

A Julius Caesar portrait coin is on my to do list. The trouble is i need to compromise between quality and the expense.

Here is my one Caeasr coin. Unless he looked like an elephant, I'll have to keep shopping. :angelic:

Julius Caesar Ele O.jpg Julius Caesar Ele R.jpg

6. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Nice capture, @Parthicus ! And nice write-up.

I always enjoy critical thinking and was taught to always view things through several different frames when viewing a problem or situation. Although Julius Caesar had accomplished an incredible amount of things during his lifetime, I find it amazing that he is made a hero in history from 2000 years ago. He was responsible for the massive slaughter and ethnic extermination of the Celts / Gauls and as many Germans he could kill. All for his self-gratification for power. Had these peoples truly represented a true threat to him or Rome, you could understand the wars. Nope. After he is done murdering a people, he was the last nail to be pounded into the coffin of the Roman Republic. Another mass murder. I find the parallels to the Middle-20th Century War astonishing. One history from 2000 years ago is fascinating, the other is abhorrent.

Just a perspective.

I captured this one because of it was minted during the last 2 weeks prior to Caesar's assassination.
    [​IMG]
    Roman Imperatorial Era
    Julius Caesar Lifetime
    P Sepullius Macer AR Den
    1st 2 weeks-Mar 44 BCE 4.03g.
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled -
    Venus Victory sceptre star
    Syd 1074a Sear Imperators 107e Cr 480-14
    Rare

Andrew Alföldi arranges Crawford 480 series coins in (44 BC) month order as follows:

RRC 480/1, Buca - January
    RRC 480/2, DICT QVART - early February
    RRC 480/3/4/5, CAESAR IMP - late February
    RRC 480/6/7/8/9/10/11/12/13/14, DICT PERPETVO - early to mid-March-44 BCE
    RRC 480/17/18, CAESAR IMPER - late March
    RRC 480/19/20, PARENS PATRIAE - April
    RRC 480/15/16, MARIDIANVS - April
    RRC 480/21/22, CLEMENTIAE CAESARIS and Mark Antony - April

Last edited: Apr 14, 2020
  7. Gary R. Wilson

Gary R. Wilson ODERINT, DUM METUANT — CALIGULA

My contribution is a fouree, but a lifetime portrait issue with "Dictator For Life" inscription.

Julius_Caesar__Rome__February-March_44_BC-removebg-preview.png

Fourree
    Ruler: Julius Caesar (Dictator)
    Coin: Silver/Bronze Denarius Fourree
    CAESAR DICT PERPETVO - Wreathed and veiled head of Caesar r.
    C MARIDIANVS - Venus standing l., Holding Victory and resting arm on shield set on globe.
    Mint: Rome (February-March 44 BC)
    Wt./Size/Axis: 2.90g / 19mm / 360
    Rarity: Scarce
    References:
    RSC 9
    Crawford 480/16
    Sear 1415
    Syd 1067
    CRI 111
    Provenances:
    Bertolami Fine Arts
    Acquisition/Sale: Bertolami Fine Arts Internet E-Live Auction/59 #522 $0.00 05/18
    Notes: Nov 10, 18 - The Gary R. Wilson Collection

8. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

Amazing example.. congrats!
    Here is my modest example minted six years after death

upload_2020-4-14_17-54-42.png

Large AE portrait of Julius Caesar. Imperatorial Era: Octavian/Augustus and Divus Julius Caesar, Orichalcum Sestertius, 29mm, 12.98 gm, 2h. Mint in Italy, 38 BC. Obv: CAESAR DIVI F bare head of Octavian right Rx: DIVOS IVLIVS laureate head of Julius Caesar right ...(here reverse displayed on the left).

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Nice summary, sweet obverse and fun reverse:artist::kiss::D
    Here’s some Jumpy Sneezers:
    207F24E4-2B84-40D0-B803-A137A43AB786.png B2B694AF-6856-45F2-B0A8-3AE95B54F8E0.jpeg 16945C58-1874-4DDA-B096-5E070DB033C2.jpeg 23760D5F-6636-4983-AA12-57D69B771757.png

10. Alegandron

Crossed the Rubicon

[​IMG]
    RR Julius Caesar AR Denarius 49 BCE Traveling Mint Elephant-Pontificates Sear 1399 Craw 443-1 RUBICON

11. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..fine coin with provenance...:)

12. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

This coin used to be in my collection

13. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

That's correct. I purchased it from you a few years back and I still thank you.

14. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

15. VD76

VD76 Well-Known Member

My budget examples

DB3D4BD6-A8A4-4E7A-897A-090303D58D61.jpeg
    Julius Caesar. Rome mint, moneyer L. Aemilius Buca, lifetime issue c. mid Jan - Feb 44 B.C. ; AR denarius ( fragment ) .
    14 mm, 1.26 g.
    Obverse: Wreathed head of Julius Caesar right, CAESAR IMP before, P M divided by large crescent with horns up behind .
    Reverse: Venus standing left, Victory in extended right, long scepter vertical behind in left, L AEMILIVS before, BVCA behind .
    Crawford 480/4; HCRI 102; Sydenham 1060; RSC 22
    Ex Moneta Numismatic Services

B235B895-9B82-4920-B19C-46EFB8C27507.jpeg
    Octavian and Divus Julius Caesar . Æ Sestertius or Dupondius. 38 BC .
    30 mm , 20.80 grams . Italian (?) mint .
    Obverse : CAESAR DIVI F, bare head of Octavian right .
    Reverse : DIVOS IVLIVS, wreathed head of Divus Julius Caesar right .
    Crawford 535/1; Sydenham 1335; RPC 620

16. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Great writeup and a fine coin. I picked mine up some years ago from the sale of David Sellwood's collection. I like to imagine that Sellwood, being the scholar of Parthian coinage that he was, also wanted an example of the type Caesar struck to finance his planned campaign against the Parthian Empire.

Julius Caesar - New 2017.jpg JULIUS CAESAR
    AR Denarius. 3.77g, 19mm. Rome mint, struck by L. Aemilius Buca, February - March 44 BC. Crawford 480/8; Sydenham 1061; RCV 1411. O: CAESAR DICT PERPETVO , wreathed head of Caesar facing right. R: L BVCA , Venus standing left, holding Victory and a sceptre.
    Ex David Sellwood Collection; ex Seaby Coin & Medal Bulletin (1 Oct 1977), lot 793

17. Alegandron

I definitely agree that he would have wanted this in his collection for that reason. I have always liked your coin. Yours is a super example!

zumbly and Parthicus like this.
  18. svessien

svessien Senior Member

Wow, Parthicus! Congratulations!
    I have always wanted a Caesar portrait coin, but never wanted to pay what they cost. You did, and good for you! :)

19. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

When I bought this coin, the reverse description said "shield at base", so that's I've described it on my web page. After seeing Alegandron's coin, I'm wondering if it is supposed to be a star but has been damaged somehow. Any thoughts?
    [​IMG]
    Obv: DICT PERPETVO - CAESAR - Veiled head of Julius Caesar
    Rev: P SEPVLLIVS MACER - Venus holding Victory and scepter; shield at base
    RSC 39; S362
    18 x 20mm, 3.2g.

20. Alegandron

http://davy.potdevin.free.fr/Site/crawford5-2.html
    480/13
    [​IMG]
    Julius Caesar and P. Sepullius Macer. Denarius 44, AR 3.98 g.
    CAESAR – DICT PERPETVO Veiled and wreathed head of Caesar r. Rev. P·SEPVLLIVS – MACER Venus standing l., holding Victory and sceptre resting on shield.
    Babelon Julia 50 and Sepullia 5. C 38. Sydenham 1074. Sear Imperators 107d. Crawford 480/13.
    Well struck and good extremely fine

http://andrewmccabe.ancients.info/RRC463.html
    480/13
    upload_2020-4-15_8-46-26.png

21. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

This answers my question. My coin is RRC 480/13, with a shield. Thank you, Alegandron.

Alegandron likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted